Whatz the Best way to give a lining of Calcium Hydroxide without.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waleed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the Final yr of BDS,and right now,i am working on completing my Filling Quota :smuggrin:

Well i've only started just this previous week.
Anyway the thing is that whenever i am applying a lining of Calcium Hydroxide(Dicol?) on lets take for e.g. Class 1 Cavity,it keeps on sticking on to the instrument :mad: like i mean to say is,when i mix the powder and liquid,and get a fine fluidy mix,then i quickly grab the "Applicator" and grab some Dicol and take it to the cavity,Now as i touch the Dicol on the floor of the cavity,it just doesnt want to leave the instrument,its just stays on the applicator,i try to move the applicator left and right,but that doesnt help either,and the end result is that most of the dicol gets stick to the "Walls of the cavity" instead of on the floor of the Cavity :( .

So plz tell me what should i do?I know that the setting time is pretty quick,but we've to work all alone on the patients,no assistants are allowed,so like am i doing something wrong?Should i use any other technique or instrument?

Please please let me know.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

personally, i prefer using a light cured GI if i must base..
quicker and easier to use imo.
(btw, basing back to ideal is not a scientifically supported concept)..

..at least in my isolated world, dycal is for pulp caps

anyways..
..just dont touch the walls and make sure u are in fact using a "dycal instrument"..
no biggie.

At my school, the preferred liner material is Ultrablend-- A flowable light-cured resin-based Calcium Hydroxide.

Flow it in, zap it with a curing light, and voila-- You are done and ready to place the restoration.