What 4 yr OMFS residency has the best applicant/match rate for low caliber students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hereforgoodtime

Reaction score
Am poor applicant (top 25% of class) with CBSE of 60. Don't want to spend a whole year doing an internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Am poor applicant (top 25% of class) with CBSE of 60. Don't want to spend a whole year doing an internship.

Going to be tough with that CBSE to get in without a noncat. Will be tough to get in even with a noncat. Most programs have a cutoff to screen applicants before they start looking at apps.

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone on their 3rd non-cat year. It’s definitely not easy without the numbers to get your foot in the door, that goes for any specialty. Apply very broadly. I’d also have a solid Plan B moving forward.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone on their 3rd non-cat year. It’s definitely not easy without the numbers to get your foot in the door, that goes for any specialty. Apply very broadly. I’d also have a solid Plan B moving forward.

Big Hoss
That is extreme dedication to do 3 non categorical intern years. Wow.

Going to be tough with that CBSE to get in without a noncat. Will be tough to get in even with a noncat. Most programs have a cutoff to screen applicants before they start looking at apps.

Where would you say those cutoffs generally are? 70?

That is extreme dedication to do 3 non categorical intern years. Wow.
Depends on the program. There’s varying degrees of intensity and work load.

Where would you say those cutoffs generally are? 70?
Some it’s 70 or 75. Some don’t have a strict cutoff but don’t take applicants seriously below a a 70, 75, 80. Put the best foot forward and apply.

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect it's not quite as hard as people are making it out to be. Apply broadly and see what happens.

One thing good about OS is that you have the power to make yourself the most competitive applicant by crushing the CBSE. Study hard and aim to score as high as possible. Really the only reason I matched and I wasn’t in the top 25% of my class. If you’re serious then you should consider doing an internship if you don’t match. Best of luck

Do well on the CBSE before doing a non cat. You have way more free time now than you will once you get started.

I applied broadly last year with a 62 + non cat + research + great letters of rec… 5 interviews and didn’t match.

Im on non cat #2…
Don’t rule out doing a non cat. It was really hard at first but the experience you get is unmatched. I love what I do, I’d do it forever if it paid better.

Also worth lining up a non cat before match day even if you have interviews and feel like they went well, most of the good ones fill up fast..I learned that lesson the hard way. I’d recommend doing a non cat at a 4 year program where they can be more flexible with CBSE requirements if they like you - a lot of 6 years hands are tied by the med school.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users