Wheeling Jesuit University Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackcar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have received an interview invitation from Wheeling Jesuit University for Jan. 18th. I wanted to know if anyone has interviewed there or does have an interview then. Does anyone have any information of how the essay question will be, interview questions and any tips such as if they would ask current issues in PT?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed their last year and was wait-listed. You will be divided into small groups and you have stations that you have to go to. One of the stations is a interview with faculty member and current student. The questions are basic and consist of why you want to go to physical therapy school. Then you go on a tour of the school and demonstration of what class is like etc. It's more of an information session than interview. Relax and have fun.

I got invited but I have to work so I'm just doing a phone interview tomorrow.
I didn't think there was an essay? If so I guess I'm not doing that part since I'm not going?
From what I understand its small group interview & a tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot about the essay. There is an essay. They give you two choices and you have to write your opinion on it.

Bearbull

Were you ever called back after being wait listed? I just learned I was wait listed today & I wonder what my chances of being picked are?

Can somebody give me more details about how a problem based learning program is. We talked about it at the interview but I want to know how everyone else feels about this type of learning. Wheeling is a problem based learning program which sets it apart from majority of the other PT programs. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this..!

I interviewed on 1/18 and was accepted, but I think I'm going to decline their offer. The program seems disorganized and I asked several current students what they would change about the program and they all said they wish it was more organized. That is a really bad sign to me because if the staff can't get the curriculum right or get quizzes/tests right then how does that make it easier for students to learn. Also, I'm a very organized person and if I was in that environment for 2 years then I think I would really hate it and feel stressed out to the max.

Even interview day was a little disorganized. Apparently there was a new schedule for each group of candidates + current student, but the current students leading each group weren't all given the new schedule.. So some groups had the new one and some had the old one. So for the first 20 minutes of the day, some groups were running around trying to catch up and figure out where they needed to go. It really wasn't a huge deal but I think that just shows the disorganization of the program.

I like that the program is 2 years, but I don't like a program that is full PBL for every course. I understand having a few courses in the curriculum PBL, but to just review material before class, then come to class and discuss/question each other seems sooooo exhausting. For me, I want a prof to teach me at least some of the material by lectures. I do like the group aspect of PBL and I think it works well for information retention.

The main thing that deterred me was the pass rate for the NPTE in 2011. It was something like 67% (if I remember correctly) and Dr. Ruby stated it was because the students graduated a few days before the exam and the faculty advised them to study for like 6 weeks, but they didn't so that's why the pass rate was low that year. That seemed odd to me. I wish we knew what the pass rate was in 2012.