When am I supposed to apply to optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eera1213

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just started my junior year right now and I plan on entering optometry school right after my senior year so I plan on starting some time near June 2016 after I graduate. When am I supposed to start submitting my applications? Right now, the OptomCAS application is for the 2014-2015 cycle and it is open from July 2014-June 2015 so am I supposed to apply this cycle? Or do I apply next cycle? When should I aim to submit my completed application? I haven't started it at all yet and I'm just really confused about the timeline. I plan on applying for SUNY, SCCO, NECO, UC Berkeley, and Salus Univ. Thanks in advanced for helping a really confused applicant!

Members don't see this ad.

You apply for the next cycle. The application system for it opens in July right after your junior year is over. I would get all your shadowing in and start thinking about who you want to write your recommendation letters. That way, you will have everything done by the time the new cycle opens and you can apply early!

Yes, I agree. And ask your evaluators early- that was my biggest problem. I would also aim to get my application in by the end of August because since most schools are rolling admissions- the earlier the better. I also suggest that (if your school ends early- like late May) to write your personal statement ASAP because it alleviates pressure when you're doing your application. Good luck!