When are interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What month are med school interviews usually if you submit your app on time?

• late August

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • September

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • October

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • November

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • December

• January

• later

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
R

ratman7

Given that you submit your app, including secondaries, by late July/early August. (or earlier)

How many days of class do you usually end up missing due to interviews also?

EXTRA: to confirm, the "ii" jargon on SDN refers to secondaries, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my primary the first day and was complete at all schools within 2 weeks of receiving their secondaries. My first interview was late August, and I got my most recent interview invitation (II) in late November. I assume I'm done for the season, but I still have open applications at a few more schools. I was busiest in September and early October. Your timing will also depend on your competitiveness.

This will depend entirely on how many interviews you get. Once I realized that I was getting a lot, I started scheduling/ rescheduling the ones I was least interested in until after October 15th so I could cancel them if I had an acceptance. I also tried to send in the area emails to schools when I was traveling far away an had multiple schools in the area. This worked once for me.

II is interview invitation. It just happens to look like the roman numerals for 2.

Reactions: 1 user
There's no choice for 'it depends' which is what the answer is...

I was complete mid august. Earliest interview was mid november and I have one booked as far out as mid feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
Given that you submit your app, including secondaries, by late July/early August. (or earlier)

I finished secondaries between that end of July to early August time and all of my interviews were in October, November and December. It fully depends on who gives you interviews and how long it takes. One school gave me a II (interview invite) the day after I submitted the secondary, while another school gave me a II 4 months later. Also schools may give you a II that is 1 week away or a month away. Usually you will miss 2-3 days per interview so you can multiply the number of interviews by that. But if you finish your secondaries early, you can probably finish interviewing before the end of the year unless you're one of those superstars who get 10+ interviews haha.

There's no correlation, but the better your app, and the earlier you submit, the earlier your interview can be.

The better apps yield the earliest IIs.

I completed my secondaries Late July/Early August and have had 1 interview in August, 2 in September, and 3 in December. It'll depend a lot on which schools you apply to and how quickly they process applications.

The number of days of class missed also totally depends on how many schools you apply to, how many actually give you interviews, which days of the week are available, and how far you have to travel. I've managed to miss just a day or day and a half of work for each interview, but I haven't had to travel far for most of them, and I had one on a Monday, so I could travel there on the weekend, return Monday night, and be at work Tuesday morning.

Basically, it's going to vary a lot from applicant to applicant. Sorry there's no clear-cut answer.

Wait, what the ****? II stands for "interview invitation"? I could have sworn it stood for "secondary" because of the Roman numeral thing.

I'm sure some people have been referring to secondaries like that here.

Wait, what the ****? II stands for "interview invitation"? I could have sworn it stood for "secondary" because of the Roman numeral thing.

I'm sure some people have been referring to secondaries like that here.

I've definitely seen people use it for "secondary" too, but they're almost always corrected. I'd guess the rationale is that "interview invitation" takes longer to type out than "secondary" so it's more deserving of an abbreviation. Definitely confusing though.

I submitted my primary on the day AMCAS opened, prewrote my secondaries, and submitted them within 24 hours of receiving them. I started getting IIs in early to mid July, and got them pretty regularly until late August. After that, only a few more trickled in, with the last one arriving in mid-October. My interviews themselves were very heavily centered in September and mid-October, with a few more interviews in mid to late November.

I had 14 interviews, and missed ~25 days of school this semester due to interviews and travelling. I live on the West Coast and the vast majority of my interviews were on the East Coast, so each trip took me 2-3 days (full day of flying, full day of interviewing the next day, full day of flying the day after that). I tried to make sure one of the travel days was on a weekend, but I still ended up missing two full days of school for most of my trips. Like I mentioned, September and October were my busy months. For almost 6 weeks, I had 2 interviews per week, so I only attended one day of school each week for the first half of the semester. I think I attended three full weeks of school during the entire semester because I had a few other interviews in November as well.

I am SO grateful for the opportunities and experiences I've had, but it was very challenging to keep up with schoolwork. Make sure you're prepared, because I certainly was not!

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my AMCAS on the first day. I was complete at most schools mid July. IIs began trickling in during mid to late July until early September. I had some interviews in late September. October was my interview heavy month. I had a few in early November, and my last interview was in mid December. I've lost count of the days of work I've missed, and at this point I don't want to know.

Reactions: 1 users