When can I start submitting fellowship apps to programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddddd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

When can I start submitting fellowship apps to programs? I haven't found a consensus date... as early as possible? or before a certain date?

Members don't see this ad.

the dates are roughly the same every year. Alternatively, you could also google "eras sports medicine application" and obtain the same info.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct. I generally advise to submit sometime just before the start of the first college football game. I guarantee you no one is looking at your app right now. We're 4 days into July and they need to focus on the fellows!

Prior to 2014, sports medicine applications did not start until August and every program had a general deadline of September-ish. Some even took deadlines til early Oct. In 2014 they changed the application start date to July 1 to keep it congruent with other sub-specialty matches, but programs will still not took at your app until mid August at the earliest.

Remember medicine sub-specialty match is the first week of Dec (12/1/21), and Peds/PM&R sub-specialty match is the 3rd Wednesday of Dec (12/15/21).
Sports medicine has a separate match day and it's always the first Wednesday in January (1/5/22), so traditionally app and interview season started a month later. I guess they pushed the opening of sports medicine back a month to just make things easier on ERAS lol.

Source: Me. I was the last applicant class where the prior rule took place lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had an app on my phone during my application cycle:

While programs are not looking at apps right now, I'd start working on it NOW if you can. People need ample time to prepare a letter of recommendation; some people want your personal statement and CV prepared beforehand. That said, some of my FM colleagues also applied later in the fall (Sept/Oct) and did just fine, too.

Does anyone know if there’s a benefit to submitting your application early (like right now) vs waiting till when programs can see apps?