When can I start submitting fellowship apps to programs?

Started by ddddd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ddddd

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello

When can I start submitting fellowship apps to programs? I haven't found a consensus date... as early as possible? or before a certain date?
 
Correct. I generally advise to submit sometime just before the start of the first college football game. I guarantee you no one is looking at your app right now. We're 4 days into July and they need to focus on the fellows!

Prior to 2014, sports medicine applications did not start until August and every program had a general deadline of September-ish. Some even took deadlines til early Oct. In 2014 they changed the application start date to July 1 to keep it congruent with other sub-specialty matches, but programs will still not took at your app until mid August at the earliest.

Remember medicine sub-specialty match is the first week of Dec (12/1/21), and Peds/PM&R sub-specialty match is the 3rd Wednesday of Dec (12/15/21).
Sports medicine has a separate match day and it's always the first Wednesday in January (1/5/22), so traditionally app and interview season started a month later. I guess they pushed the opening of sports medicine back a month to just make things easier on ERAS lol.

Source: Me. I was the last applicant class where the prior rule took place lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also had an app on my phone during my application cycle:

While programs are not looking at apps right now, I'd start working on it NOW if you can. People need ample time to prepare a letter of recommendation; some people want your personal statement and CV prepared beforehand. That said, some of my FM colleagues also applied later in the fall (Sept/Oct) and did just fine, too.
 
Does anyone know if there’s a benefit to submitting your application early (like right now) vs waiting till when programs can see apps?