When can we start sending updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsGo352

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already submitted my app, but I'm doing a few things related to medicine in July. Can we start sending updates with the secondaries or do we have to wait for an interview invite?

Also, to send an update, do you just email the admission office?

Members don't see this ad.

Hasent it only been 9 days since you could have submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I already submitted my app, but I'm doing a few things related to medicine in July. Can we start sending updates with the secondaries or do we have to wait for an interview invite?

Also, to send an update, do you just email the admission office?

There's no hard rule to updates, but I think post-interview is the best time. Unless you've done something absolutely mind-blowingly spectacular. You don't want to be sending 14 updates throughout the application process; oh btw I'm doing this now, I just finished this project, here's another update with another random EC, tack on 20 more hours to the EC from update #8, etc etc.

There's no hard rule to updates, but I think post-interview is the best time. Unless you've done something absolutely mind-blowingly spectacular. You don't want to be sending 14 updates throughout the application process; oh btw I'm doing this now, I just finished this project, here's another update with another random EC, tack on 20 more hours to the EC from update #8, etc etc.

Do you think its a bad idea to send one in July though? I'm doing a clinical EC full time from the middle of June so it's not just an additional 20 hours of something I've already done. Since I wasn't able to put it down on my AMCAS app I wanted to update schools on it asap, like around when I submit secondaries, so that they can take it into consideration when reviewing my application.

Do you think its a bad idea to send one in July though? I'm doing a clinical EC full time from the middle of June so it's not just an additional 20 hours of something I've already done. Since I wasn't able to put it down on my AMCAS app I wanted to update schools on it asap, like around when I submit secondaries, so that they can take it into consideration when reviewing my application.
if you knew you were doing it, why didn't you just include it on the primary in the first place as a future/current EC?

I wouldn't send it until after a few months to be honest. Admissions offices are flooded right now. The last thing they will pay attention to is updates in July. Save it for something to talk about during interviews or a Sept/Oct update to try to get some interviews

if you knew you were doing it, why didn't you just include it on the primary in the first place as a future/current EC?

I wouldn't send it until after a few months to be honest. Admissions offices are flooded right now. The last thing they will pay attention to is updates in July. Save it for something to talk about during interviews or a Sept/Oct update to try to get some interviews

Because many people have said not to put it down on the primary if, for whatever reason, it falls through and then you have to explain to each school that it didn't actually happen. So I wanted to wait for at least a few weeks after it starts so that I have something significant to say about my experience and what I am getting out of it.

Because many people have said not to put it down on the primary if, for whatever reason, it falls through and then you have to explain to each school that it didn't actually happen. So I wanted to wait for at least a few weeks after it starts so that I have something significant to say about my experience and what I am getting out of it.

Some secondaries will have "is there anything you want to tell us" sections. I used these to update my spring quarter grades and anything else. don't send separate stuff though. they will see these when reviewing your app.

Updates have really limited impact pre-interview. The point about admissions offices being swamped in the summer is also valid. They're not going to re-review your application because you sent in an update, and it is entirely possible that the update will be lost in the scramble and never even end up in your file.