When can you take Step III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS05'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing that you could take it anytime after graduating as long as you had completed Step I and the two parts to Step II, but now I'm starting to wonder. I tried to register for Step III, but it looks like you have to submit an application for your license in some states at the same time that you submit your application for Step III...but it gets better. In some states you need to have completed your first year of residency before the PD will "sign off" on your application for licensure...

Anyone have an idea of this works???

Members don't see this ad.

It was 3 years ago, but 2 of my friends went to Connecticut and sat for Step III before their first days of residency. CT is one of the states where you don't have to apply for licensure at the same time as taking Step III.

When you register for step 3, there is a list of states and requirements. Some states, Florida comes to mind, allow you to take Step 3 prior to any residency. Other states require at least 10-11 months of internship, so you can take the test at the end of your internship. Still other states, mine included, allow you to take step 3 anytime during your internship.

I believe there is a way to register through the states that allow you to take the test early. That is, if you live in Wyoming, and want to take step 3 early, you can register through Florida. I think there was a post on this about a year ago.

http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=20049323

Yes, the above posters are correct, you can register for the exam in whatever state you want, and don't necessarily have to apply for licensure there. Check ou the thread that deschutes posted. The Federation of State Medical Boards has all the info you need. Click on "USMLE Step 3" on the left side. Then click "online registration." You will see a list of requirements for every state.

I'm still trying to figure out when to take the exam myself... :confused: