When can you take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danph

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I would like to know if it's ok to take the MCAT your senior year, or after you graduated? Also, is calculas on the MCAT? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

danph said:
Hi everyone! I would like to know if it's ok to take the MCAT your senior year, or after you graduated? Also, is calculas on the MCAT? Thanks

yes (as long as you take it by the year you apply and not more than three years earlier) and no, respectively.

I'm guessing you haven't taken calculus? ;) there's only a few extended derivations and a few integrals, but not too much.

Nah, there isn't any calc on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it hurt you to take it later,- 1, 2, 10+ years after you've finished pre req's?

fateema368 said:
Does it hurt you to take it later,- 1, 2, 10+ years after you've finished pre req's?

I don't think it effects the MCAT, but some schools prefer you to have taken the prereqs within a certain amount of time. Check with individual schools.

fateema368 said:

Preparing for the MCAT gets a bit harder the longer its been since you've taken the prereqs, unless you are working in science or taking upper level things. People forget things, and the bulk of the other people taking the test have just finished the prereqs, so if you are going to take the MCAT many years later, plan on spending significantly more time "reminding" yourself about the basics, and ideally take a test prep course. Also note that there are many schools that will want to see the grades from recent science course work to be sure you can still hack being in a science class, so if you have truly not taken sciences for 10+ years, you may want to take a postbac or some upper level classes in any event.