When did Dental/Med Schools Start Interviewing Applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, when did it become common practice for professional schools to interview applicants? When did it become mandatory across the board?

Members don't see this ad.

Could googling stuff like this not provide you with an adequate answer ?
Couldn't find an answer

Out of curiosity, when did it become common practice for professional schools to interview applicants? When did it become mandatory across the board?
They've always interviewed applicants. The standardized exams are the newer advent, and were meant to augment the interview and give adcoms a more objective way of viewing candidates, because grades and the way someone came across in person often didn't reflect their actual propensity for success in med or dental school, so there were a ton of washouts prior to the MCAT/DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
They've always interviewed applicants. The standardized exams are the newer advent, and were meant to augment the interview and give adcoms a more objective way of viewing candidates, because grades and the way someone came across in person often didn't reflect their actual propensity for success in med or dental school, so there were a ton of washouts prior to the MCAT/DAT.
I never would've thought that the exams were newer. So interviews were always the norm since the last 100 years? I don't understand why law-schools, for example, rarely interview applicants to this day yet pharmacist schools do.

Reactions: 1 user
I never would've thought that the exams were newer. So interviews were always the norm since the last 100 years? I don't understand why law-schools, for example, rarely interview applicants to this day yet pharmacist schools do.
Because law is a profession got the soulless- you can have no personality and be a cutthroat sociopath and still be great at the job. The service professions of health care have always sought to protect their professional image and to fulfill their school's missions by selecting people with certain humanistic qualities that can be felt out in the interview.

Never thought I would say this, but I agree.

Because law is a profession got the soulless- you can have no personality and be a cutthroat sociopath and still be great at the job. The service professions of health care have always sought to protect their professional image and to fulfill their school's missions by selecting people with certain humanistic qualities that can be felt out in the interview.
Talk about prejudice—even if that were true, it's not like pharmacists interact with patients on any meaningful level to where interviews are called for.

Talk about prejudice—even if that were true, it's not like pharmacists interact with patients on any meaningful level to where interviews are called for.
Lol, go say that in the pharmacist forums, I'd love to see their reaction.

Reactions: 6 users
A dentist told me in the mid 1970's that he had the option of interviewing, but didn't because that was more for the kids who had a lower GPA. He just mailed in his app and received acceptance like 4 months later.

A dentist told me in the mid 1970's that he had the option of interviewing, but didn't because that was more for the kids who had a lower GPA. He just mailed in his app and received acceptance like 4 months later.
Interesting. Medicine might have had interviews long before dentistry then, it seems.

It's a retail position at the end of the day.
Not all pharmacists are retail pharmacists. Pharmacists actually pop up in some of the most random facets of healthcare and some pharmacist positions never even see the inside of a typical Walgreens or CVS and are actually heavily involved in patient care.

Reactions: 4 users

Dentist from the 80s also said something similar. Mentioned that he received some acceptances without any interviews, and he had gone to some interviews for some other schools. He had a lower GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
idk about interviews but a relative of my mom said she got 15 in her DAT and that was considered high back then. She graduated in the 90's.

Dentist I shadowed from mid 80s didn't get interviewed either.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile