When did you take FLS (fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanasme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to revamp the MIS and FLS curriculum at my program. I’m currently a PGY-3 getting ready to take FLS prior to PGY-4 year. Although sometimes the tasks seem silly or non-applicable, I actually think I’ve picked up a few really skills (intracorporeal suturing, mostly). Anyways, I think these tasks could be learned by someone even earlier in their training than PGY-3 year and I’m considering bumping FLS to a PGY-2 requirement. When do people at other programs take it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took it this year as a PGY2. I think it makes more sense to take as a 2 than a 3 (anything with “fundamentals” in the name seems to make more sense introducing earlier than later)

I took it as a PGY 2, and it is now a requirement at my program to take FLS (and FES) by the end of PGY 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
We took it together at some point when it was available (like all the years took the test). I think it was when it first came out or something. But I agree that earlier is probably better.

I took it as a PGY-4. In retrospect I should've done it much sooner. We made a generalized encouragement to take it as a PGY-2.