When do Admissions Committees go on break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smad4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time do they usually take off?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree.

stupid |ˈst:thumbup:oōpid|
adjective ( -pider, -pidest)
lacking intelligence or common sense : I was stupid enough to think she was perfect.
dazed and unable to think clearly : apprehension was numbing her brain and making her stupid.
• informal used to express exasperation or boredom : she told him to stop messing with his stupid painting.

Pretty sure that qualifies this question as a stupid one. What you input into google will vary by school, but let me do one for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=boston+university+school+of+medicine+academic+calendar&l=1

stupid |ˈst:thumbup:oōpid|
adjective ( -pider, -pidest)
lacking intelligence or common sense : I was stupid enough to think she was perfect.
• dazed and unable to think clearly : apprehension was numbing her brain and making her stupid.
• informal used to express exasperation or boredom : she told him to stop messing with his stupid painting.

Pretty sure that qualifies this question as a stupid one. What you input into google will vary by school, but let me do one for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=boston+university+school+of+medicine+academic+calendar&l=1

+pity+

I don't think it's a stupid question either. If you think it's so dumb, the best thing you can do is ignore it, rather than flame or exile him to the 'stupid questions' thread. You're just making it difficult for others to ask their honest on-the-fence questions, instead of what you really want, which is to incite them to think about their questions before asking.

Although it's stupid to think some guy would respond with the exact schedule for every school, some people here are familiar with the holiday schedules for admissions offices from last year's cycle and could give him specific answers.

I noticed that in last year's thread for a particular medical school, acceptances and e-mails were being sent during the winter recess period of the medical/graduate school's academic calendar, so your little "google animation" is not always the case. Some admissions offices even work on the weekend.

i don't think it's a stupid question either. If you think it's so dumb, the best thing you can do is ignore it, rather than flame or exile him to the 'stupid questions' thread. You're just making it difficult for others to ask their honest on-the-fence questions, instead of what you really want, which is to incite them to think about their questions before asking.

Although it's stupid to think some guy would respond with the exact schedule for every school, some people here are familiar with the holiday schedules for admissions offices from last year's cycle and could give him specific answers.

I noticed that in last year's thread for a particular medical school, acceptances and e-mails were being sent during the winter recess period of the medical/graduate school's academic calendar, so your little "google animation" is not always the case. Some admissions offices even work on the weekend.

+1

I don't think it's a stupid question either. If you think it's so dumb, the best thing you can do is ignore it, rather than flame or exile him to the 'stupid questions' thread. You're just making it difficult for others to ask their honest on-the-fence questions, instead of what you really want, which is to incite them to think about their questions before asking.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll definitely admit I could've been more specific with my query though. In particular, I'm wondering about california schools (UCSF, UCLA, UCSD), which possibly function on the same sort of schedule, and Harvard. I recently sent an appeal to UCSF, so I presume this would matter in terms of their one month response time. For the others, I'm trying to see what the best timing of an update letter might be.

Maybe I was being too critical. But its certainly school-dependent and can vary widely, making any answer you get from people very general and not helpful.

Common sense would tell the OP that its unlikely for a school to give any kind of response between Christmas Eve and New Years day and to not expect any kind of response between then. There may be exceptions to this, but the majority of schools wont have people working then.

And its true that most offices in universities do not follow along with the academic calendar. Usually though an academic calendar will indicate when the "campus" is closed - indicating that all offices - like admissions - would be closed. Upon reviewing Boston University's academic calendar I see no such information, so that was definitely a bad example and I apologize.

My advice to the OP is that if he was hoping for either a decision or interview for particular schools around the holidays to call and see if they'll be open the week between Xmas and new years, since that is likely to be the only week to vary between schools. As far as to when admissions offices typically re-open, since New Years day next year falls on a Saturday workers will usually get the Monday off, meaning the first day back will probably be Jan. 4th.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll definitely admit I could've been more specific with my query though. In particular, I'm wondering about california schools (UCSF, UCLA, UCSD), which possibly function on the same sort of schedule, and Harvard. I recently sent an appeal to UCSF, so I presume this would matter in terms of their one month response time. For the others, I'm trying to see what the best timing of an update letter might be.

I see your asking about the UCs. This year at UCLA the campus is closed from Dec 19th - January 3rd. First day back is Jan 4th. My guess is its the same with all UCs