When do I ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

77kelly77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply MD/PHD next cycle (year from now) because I am going to do a masters program first. I graduated in the spring and will be going to a new university in the fall. I have established some great relationships with professors, but don't know if I should ask them to write letters in person before I leave, or in another year (when I will be in another state). I am planning to use interfolio, so it could keep my letters ready to send.

Should I ask now or later?

Members don't see this ad.

You wanna ask now because longer you wait more they are going to forget about you. Also, it is nice to meet them in person when you ask for the letter, too. I regret not asking for LOR for SURP right after the summer. I feel like asking her for letter over e-mail and much time later may result in not as strong of a letter as it could have been had I asked right away. Anyhow, good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto everyone. Also, if you're concerned about your advisor "forgetting you," you can always suggest her writing the letter now, and then fill it in later with additional superlatives you've accomplished in the interim.

Thanks everyone :)