Step II When do i calculate the delta anion gap?

Started by rachana
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rachana

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is what I think you are supposed to do for acid-base disorders, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

1. Look at pH, HCO3, and PC02 to figure out the primary acid-base disorder (e.g. metabolic acidosis). If met acidosis, calculate anion gap to see if high or normal anion gap.

2. Use Winter's formula and the other chronic/acute resp alk/acidosis relationships to figure out if the compensation is appropriate OR if there a 2nd acid-base disorder present

3. If met acidosis, calculate delta anion gap. If >31, there is a metabolic alkalosis (now we're up to a 3rd disorder). If <21, there is a nonanon gap metabolic acidosis. If between 21 and 31, there is no third acid-base disorder.

PLEASE correct this if I am wrong... I put this together from 3 different sources!! Thanks.
 
rachana said:
Here is what I think you are supposed to do for acid-base disorders, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

1. Look at pH, HCO3, and PC02 to figure out the primary acid-base disorder (e.g. metabolic acidosis). If met acidosis, calculate anion gap to see if high or normal anion gap.

2. Use Winter's formula and the other chronic/acute resp alk/acidosis relationships to figure out if the compensation is appropriate OR if there a 2nd acid-base disorder present

3. If met acidosis, calculate delta anion gap. If >31, there is a metabolic alkalosis (now we're up to a 3rd disorder). If <21, there is a nonanon gap metabolic acidosis. If between 21 and 31, there is no third acid-base disorder.

PLEASE correct this if I am wrong... I put this together from 3 different sources!! Thanks.


that's right. B&W has the same thing plus an example in the end of the Int Medicine part.
 
rachana said:
Here is what I think you are supposed to do for acid-base disorders, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

1. Look at pH, HCO3, and PC02 to figure out the primary acid-base disorder (e.g. metabolic acidosis). If met acidosis, calculate anion gap to see if high or normal anion gap.

2. Use Winter's formula and the other chronic/acute resp alk/acidosis relationships to figure out if the compensation is appropriate OR if there a 2nd acid-base disorder present

3. If met acidosis, calculate delta anion gap. If >31, there is a metabolic alkalosis (now we're up to a 3rd disorder). If <21, there is a nonanon gap metabolic acidosis. If between 21 and 31, there is no third acid-base disorder.

PLEASE correct this if I am wrong... I put this together from 3 different sources!! Thanks.

Remember there is also a delta delta gap.
Diff between the AG and Bicarb Gap...

If the ratio >1 that means there is another primary disorder going...

This is more of Pulmonay ICU stuff...dont know if you need to know it for CK...