Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

When do i calculate the delta anion gap?

Discussion in 'Step II' started by rachana, Jul 27, 2006.

1. rachana

rachana Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Here is what I think you are supposed to do for acid-base disorders, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

1. Look at pH, HCO3, and PC02 to figure out the primary acid-base disorder (e.g. metabolic acidosis). If met acidosis, calculate anion gap to see if high or normal anion gap.

2. Use Winter's formula and the other chronic/acute resp alk/acidosis relationships to figure out if the compensation is appropriate OR if there a 2nd acid-base disorder present

3. If met acidosis, calculate delta anion gap. If >31, there is a metabolic alkalosis (now we're up to a 3rd disorder). If <21, there is a nonanon gap metabolic acidosis. If between 21 and 31, there is no third acid-base disorder.

PLEASE correct this if I am wrong... I put this together from 3 different sources!! Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 4424

4424 Senior Member

Attending Physician

that's right. B&W has the same thing plus an example in the end of the Int Medicine part.

4. Shah_Patel_PT

Physician

Attending Physician
    Remember there is also a delta delta gap.
    Diff between the AG and Bicarb Gap...

If the ratio >1 that means there is another primary disorder going...

This is more of Pulmonay ICU stuff...dont know if you need to know it for CK...