rachana

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
Albany, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Here is what I think you are supposed to do for acid-base disorders, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

1. Look at pH, HCO3, and PC02 to figure out the primary acid-base disorder (e.g. metabolic acidosis). If met acidosis, calculate anion gap to see if high or normal anion gap.

2. Use Winter's formula and the other chronic/acute resp alk/acidosis relationships to figure out if the compensation is appropriate OR if there a 2nd acid-base disorder present

3. If met acidosis, calculate delta anion gap. If >31, there is a metabolic alkalosis (now we're up to a 3rd disorder). If <21, there is a nonanon gap metabolic acidosis. If between 21 and 31, there is no third acid-base disorder.

PLEASE correct this if I am wrong... I put this together from 3 different sources!! Thanks.

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
rachana said:
Here is what I think you are supposed to do for acid-base disorders, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

1. Look at pH, HCO3, and PC02 to figure out the primary acid-base disorder (e.g. metabolic acidosis). If met acidosis, calculate anion gap to see if high or normal anion gap.

2. Use Winter's formula and the other chronic/acute resp alk/acidosis relationships to figure out if the compensation is appropriate OR if there a 2nd acid-base disorder present

3. If met acidosis, calculate delta anion gap. If >31, there is a metabolic alkalosis (now we're up to a 3rd disorder). If <21, there is a nonanon gap metabolic acidosis. If between 21 and 31, there is no third acid-base disorder.

PLEASE correct this if I am wrong... I put this together from 3 different sources!! Thanks.

that's right. B&W has the same thing plus an example in the end of the Int Medicine part.

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
rachana said:

Remember there is also a delta delta gap.
Diff between the AG and Bicarb Gap...

If the ratio >1 that means there is another primary disorder going...

This is more of Pulmonay ICU stuff...dont know if you need to know it for CK...

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.