When do I need the Committee Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junebuguf

Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a borderline applicant for the 2005-2006 cycle and so I know the value of submitting secondaries asap. So when should I have the committee letter ready? My university requires at least a months notice, but they say it may take longer in the summer because faculty are out of town. I'm planning on submitting AMCAS on July 1 (or whenever it opens), so when should I expect secondaries? By the end of July? And when do they get around to making interview decisions? Is August 15 too late to have the letter sent out?

Members don't see this ad.

junebuguf said:
I'm a borderline applicant for the 2005-2006 cycle and so I know the value of submitting secondaries asap. So when should I have the committee letter ready? My university requires at least a months notice, but they say it may take longer in the summer because faculty are out of town. I'm planning on submitting AMCAS on July 1 (or whenever it opens), so when should I expect secondaries? By the end of July? And when do they get around to making interview decisions? Is August 15 too late to have the letter sent out?

August 15 should be early enough. If you are worried, you could have the letter prepared in June/July. Start sending them out as soon as the secondaries come in. Good luck!

People get secondaries within two weeks of submitting. Have all of your letter writers done and ready to send by June 1. As you mentioned, they leave over summer and it's easier for them to get it out of the way early too. What they say about being early is very true - check out threads from people who applied late and are interviewing for waitlist spots.