When do I need to start my pre-pharm reqs?

Started by Tea Tree
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tea Tree

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I'm new to this forum and I have a question. I apologize if something similar has already been asked before, but I couldn't quite find my specific question in the search.

I plan on going into pharmacy. I'm starting at a community college this fall beginning with a major in Computer Science (though I may switch later). My first semester classes don't include any pre-reqs because I need to get English and especially algebra out of the way before I can comfortably move on to the good stuff, like chemistry & bio. When do I need to start my pre-reqs? Spring semester? Next year? And if I don't get all the pre-reqs done at the CC, is it acceptable to continue them when I transfer to a four-year?

I'm just a little more than confused right now about everything that needs to get done in the years ahead before I can apply to grad school. Thanks in advance! 🙂
 
If you are not going to start your prereqs this semester, then you need to start the next semester. You are going to have at least 4 chemistry classes, assuming you don't have to take an introduction to chemistry class (giving you 5 chem total classes to take). If you are starting with college algebra, then remember that you have to take precalculus and trigonometry to get to calculus 1. You really want to take your prereqs at the community college level because many of required classes are weed-out classes at the university level. By not taking at least one or two of the prereqs in the fall, you are setting yourself up to get behind on your intended track. I would definitely investigate to see if your CC requires intro to chemistry as a prereq for chemistry 1 and get in there for the fall semester.
 
Last edited:
If you are not going to start your prereqs this semester, then you need to start the next semester. You are going to have at least 4 chemistry classes, assuming you don't have to take an introduction to chemistry class (giving you 5 chem total classes to take). If you are starting with college algebra, then remember that you have to take precalculus and trigonometry to get to calculus 1. You really want to take your prereqs at the community college level because many of required classes are weed-out classes at the university level. By not taking at least one or two of the prereqs in the fall, you are setting yourself up to get behind on your intended track. I would definitely investigate to see if your CC requires intro to chemistry as a prereq for chemistry 1 and get in there for the fall semester.

Thanks, that really helps me understand the situation. However, I don't believe I'll be able to squeeze even a single pre-req in fall semester, or even spring semester. I'm starting with an "intermediate algebra" course because I'm terrible at math right now and I need to ease into things. I suspect it will be a while before I'll get on to trig, calculus or chemistry. 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It might be easier if you changed your major to biology or chemistry and dropped the computer science to a minor, since many of the prereqs would double as a requirement for the science major

And try to take everything you can at a community college it is literally 1-2 letter grades easier.

I'm getting a 98% right now in microbiology at my university and this other kid who is getting a D was telling me about his A+ in organic chemistry at community college... really makes me mad since there was only two people who got an A in my organic class at university and I wasn't one of them... meanwhile community colleges are handing out A's left and right apparently
 
It might be easier if you changed your major to biology or chemistry and dropped the computer science to a minor, since many of the prereqs would double as a requirement for the science major

And try to take everything you can at a community college it is literally 1-2 letter grades easier.

I'm getting a 98% right now in microbiology at my university and this other kid who is getting a D was telling me about his A+ in organic chemistry at community college... really makes me mad since there was only two people who got an A in my organic class at university and I wasn't one of them... meanwhile community colleges are handing out A's left and right apparently

It's tempting, but I really wanted to do comp sci.