When do interviews start coming in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyJ

Is my mask on straight?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone give me an idea of the timing of interviews for schools with rolling admissions. Are interviews granted more or less the same as the MD applicants in the early fall (September/October) if we get in all our stuff early or are MD/PhD admissions handled differently where they evaluate the whole pool. It would be sweet if I can nail an acceptance by November because this process is becoming more costly than I originally thought.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, the interviews are no earlier than those for straight MD programs. Even the rolling schools don't seem to start sending off letters for interviews until October. I am by no means an expert here, though, so correct me if I'm wrong. This is just what I've come across in my neverending voyage through the seas of information that the med schools put on their websites to confuse the crap out of us pre-meds.

The problem is that MSTP admissions is far from uniform. Some schools require concurrent interviews with the graduate and medical schools, some interview on a rolling basis, and some interview blocks for mass numbers of candidates.

It is quite possible to get a decision in November or December. However, this is rather rare for MSTPs and generally offered "under the table" to outstanding candidates. For other MD/PhD programs, either fully or partially funded, Nov-Dec acceptances are more common.

if you submitted your materials as early as possible, interviews will begin coming in as early as late-august for some schools. it's a bit hazy now, but my first acceptance was in late october, with a few more in november and the rest following at a staggered rate, with the last of them in may.