When do med students typically start doing research in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incoming M1. I'm interested in doing research during school but not sure when to seek out a PI. I'm currently thinking summer after M1. I'm pretty undecided about what I want to specialize in. Not interested in the hypercompetitive fields like derm, urology, anything surgical, etc. I'm more interested in neurology, PM&R, or primary care leading to a fellowship. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Vast majority are not involved until summer after M1 then spend the summer on a project and either walk away or keep going with it once M2 begins depending on their level of interest and commitment. It can be harder to keep up the time commitment in M2 and clinical years so being really productive with data collection in the summer goes a long way, then juggling writing, presenting, and data analysis alongside classes is a bit more manageable.

A smaller minority (but still plenty) get involved earlier during M1 year. This is definitely an advantage in the long run, but don’t tank your exams just to spend a few hours in the lab each week. Make sure you’re in a good place with school before adding research to your plate m1 year. If you decide to start before summer, begin thinking about the field you’d want to specialize in and look for mentors in that field who take on students and publish frequently, maybe in the fall or towards winter break. Timing is less important, just get involved whenever you feel ready and start reaching out and exploring your options.

I’m on the SDN author email list and I’m pretty sure I recently saw that they have a “Research Basics” article slated for publishing in the near future so keep your eyes peeled for that as it may provide you more info along this line, but don’t know the author so can’t say for certain or attest to quality.

Feel free to PM me too with any further questions

Reactions: 3 users
Most students do it after M1 year as you stated.

From personal experience, doing it during the school can be tricky. When you're studying, you feel like you should be doing research. When you're doing research, you feel like you should be studying. It can be done, however. You will really need to manage your time.

I second what NotaCop stated. Do not sacrifice your grades/knowledge for a few hours here and there in the lab. At the bare minimum, I recommend at least doing one semester and see where you're at. If you're finding that you have a lot of extra time on your hands, perhaps start with a project.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d probably start in March or so before M1 summer. This will give you time to familiarize yourself with the research/project so that you can hit the ground running in the summer.

I reached out and started in December of my M1. I don’t necessarily regret this as I got my name on a couple of posters/other projects throughout M1 and got a head start on a productive summer project, but it definitely took away from my studies a little bit. As someone who is interested in competitive specialties, I chose sacrificing some time M1 to get a head start on research over class work with the plan of scaling back in the winter of M2 for board prep. We’ll see how this works.

Most important thing if you start getting involved M1 is to get a project that you will be able to manage with your classes. Also have clear expectations with your mentor and find someone who understands this.

Reactions: 2 users
Incoming M1. I'm interested in doing research during school but not sure when to seek out a PI. I'm currently thinking summer after M1. I'm pretty undecided about what I want to specialize in. Not interested in the hypercompetitive fields like derm, urology, anything surgical, etc. I'm more interested in neurology, PM&R, or primary care leading to a fellowship. Thanks!
Summer after M1 is the best time.

Hahaha SDN gunners

I did no research until third year med school. Published a little something fourth year. Matched decent IM program comfortably and did most of my research to match fellowship in residency.

Summer after MS1 also offers opportunities for paid research. Check your school for in-house opportunities, as well as info from specialty organizations.

it's never too early to start reaching out and networking, and mentors will understand if you express interest but suggest that you hold off for now as you get settled into medical school

even if all you do is read some of the literature coming out of labs you're interested in, and becoming familiar with what they do (this may even dovetail nicely with your studies), this will not be time-consuming but could have some value

this is piggy-backing on the poster above who said that you might put your toes in the water before MS1 summer without a big time commitment

what is an excellent idea, which goes along with reaching out to different depts, is to consider supplementing what if any clinical exposure you get already from your school, with some on the side specialty shadowing

even an isolated day shadowing in clinic here and there in fields you don't get to experience from MS3, can be illuminating and is not time intensive

showing that sort of interest, if you do continue on with that dept, can sow the seeds of networking and getting hooked up with good projects, with little initial time investment

one of the biggest mistakes/drawbacks of medical education is not getting enough exposure for good specialty choice

so if you can get in with PMR early, etc, that can work you towards end goals without taking away from your studies

Reactions: 1 users
I have other thoughts/ideas on extracurriculars that can move you towards a good selection of specialty, build your app for a number of directions, and low time commitment

Hahaha SDN gunners

I did no research until third year med school. Published a little something fourth year. Matched decent IM program comfortably and did most of my research to match fellowship in residency.
I dont think your experience in IM alone translates well to other specialties. But I could be wrong.
upload_2018-7-19_22-38-3.png

Reactions: 5 users
Whenever you feel ready. I used to think summer of M1, but if you’re a gunner and are looking early and find something that’s chart review/writing that can get you a first or second authorship, I’d suggest you try that out. Early mentorship and getting through large databases can yield multiple publications down the line. You have to get in with the right people though, otherwise it’s a complete waste of time. On the other hand, if you can’t handle school and are in the bottom quartile of your class and don’t study enough to retain material for Step 1, research looks less impressive so I would wait until at least you get an idea of how you’re doing relative to your class and adjust commitments based on that.

For fields that are viewed as less competitive relative to surgical/radiological subspecialties or derm like IM and Neurology, there are still tiers of programs. Depending on your goals (fellowship, leadership in medicine), getting into an upper tier program can help with your overall goals. To break into those tiers, significant contribution to research like getting published can be a useful boost to your application (in addition to good board scores, clinical grades, class rank, etc.)

Last edited:
I dont think your experience in IM alone translates well to other specialties. But I could be wrong.
View attachment 237525

Decent Step 1/2CK plus good clinical grades and good standing will get you into a solid IM residency and gunning for pubs and the solid residency name itself can get you GI/Cards any day.

View attachment 237525

I didn’t say don’t do research. However the gunner attitude of people who try to start it before first year i find absurd. I enjoyed the hell out of that summer and currently am a cardiology fellow. I did my research later on. Good grades and a good step 1 score are the first step to doing well; the rest is gravy. I recognize that neurosurgery, derm, plastics, and ortho all need lots of research - none of that matters if your grades and scores suck

Decent Step 1/2CK plus good clinical grades and good standing will get you into a solid IM residency and gunning for pubs and the solid residency name itself can get you GI/Cards any day.

This is the point I was making for IM - good grades and scores and letters/clinical evals will open far more doors early on

get you cards/GI any day.... I think that might not be the best wording

People who are gunning for competitive specialties (surgical subspecialties, derm etc) will start research in M1. Everyone else usually does some research in the summer after M1.

Reactions: 2 users
Some of my classmates, mainly those interested in derm and competitive surgery specialties, started like the first week. Really varies and I think it's fine to start early; I don't think it's too hard to learn how to do chart reviews for example or the relevant background/medicine for whatever research project you're working on if you want to do clinical research.

Reactions: 1 users