Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

When do medical schools know where you got accepted?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by yankees26, 05.17.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. yankees26

yankees26 2+ Year Member

I was curious as to when med schools know you hold a seat in another med school?

Here are the options:

a) when an offer of acceptance is given via email/phone
    b) after you put down the deposit for the school

If I recently received my first acceptance and have not yet put down my deposit, do med schools know if i have received the acceptance?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Shazam243

Shazam243 2+ Year Member

Why does it matter?

DermViser likes this.
  4. caffeinemia

caffeinemia 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They know after the May 1st for taking an offer. Essentially if you get off waitlist somewhere, the school where you hold the current acceptance will know and will email to figure out if you changed your mind. That's what happened to me many years ago.

5. yankees26

yankees26 2+ Year Member

In my situation, before May 15th I had no acceptances. I just received an acceptance on May 16(school A). However, I have not paid the deposit or accepted the spot yet. I am asking because my top choice medical school(school B) has a preference to take those off its waitlist that do not have any acceptances. Thus, I would probably not accept the spot at School A for the maximum 10 days if School B cannot see that I have been accepted.

6. familyaerospace

familyaerospace 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    From what the adcoms have said, they know immediately once the school decides to accept you. So school B could have learned on Friday.

I wish my schools would give preference to people on the waitlist with no acceptances!

DermViser and yankees26 like this.
  7. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    The school that accepted you has to report it to AMCAS. There is no reason not to accept, it has already been reported.

8. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    We have to notify AMCAS when the offer is made.
    You will appear as accepted on everybody's list at that point.
    Your decision and deposit have no effect on this.

DermViser, yankees26 and Pandaeac like this.
  9. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html
    Can schools see the names of or number of other schools that I applied to?
    No. Schools will never know which other schools or how many other schools you applied to through AMCAS. In the February of each application cycle, schools will have access to the Multiple Acceptance Report, which will show them which of their accepted applicants are holding acceptances from other schools.

For example, let's say you applied to schools A, B, X, and Y. You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school. You were rejected by school X, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. No action has been taken by school Y, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. If school Y accepts you a week later, school Y will then see that you are holding offers from A and B, and A and B will know that you now have an offer from Y as well.

In April of the application year, medical schools will have access to the National Acceptance Report, which lists every applicant with an acceptance or matriculated action.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/305002/canschoolsseeotherschools.html

moop and yankees26 like this.
  10. Shazam243

Shazam243 2+ Year Member

Gotcha. I find it interesting that your school informed you that they prefer to take students without other acceptances over those who do.

yankees26 likes this.
  11. Shazam243

Shazam243 2+ Year Member

Also, congratulations on your acceptance!

yankees26 likes this.
  12. yankees26

yankees26 2+ Year Member

@Shazam243 - thank you, they didnt directly inform me, but i know current students who have said exactly that.

@familyaerospace - good luck with everything. i feel your pain. I have my fingers crossed

Shazam243 and familyaerospace like this.

About the ads