When do most on-site interviews occur?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMeowMeow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a PGY-2 from the Midwest and am looking to start a job in July/August 2019 and relocate to popular cities of Texas (Dallas/Houston/Austin). No connections, but I have visited friends in these cities and definitely want to move there. I have been contacting recruiters, but most say I am too early and to reach out to them in October-January. I want to do most of my interviews during a 1 week vacation and would like to know which time frame is most optimal. Would early November be too early? Would early December not work because of all the holidays in December? Is February too late?

I am mostly concerned because I am out of state and Texas licensing can take 10 months so I would like to do my interviews as soon as possible, but I am also concerned that some of these recruiters are saying they won't know what opportunities will be available for 2019 until January 2019.

Members don't see this ad.

True, Texas licensing does take a good 10 months. I would use that as your guide as to when you need to interview. FWIW, I hope you are aware of how horrific the traffic is in those 3 cities so I would suggest you get housing close to your job.

Not sure if you’re planning on checking out Fort Worth at all, but if you aren’t you definitely should. I live in Fort Worth and my wife used to live in Dallas and we both prefer the Fort Worth vibe. You can also check out some of the suburbs of Dallas as they’re great and close enough to Dallas that you can do whatever in Dallas. Even Fort Worth is only 35-45 mins away from Dallas proper.

I am a PGY-2 from the Midwest and am looking to start a job in July/August 2019 and relocate to popular cities of Texas (Dallas/Houston/Austin). No connections, but I have visited friends in these cities and definitely want to move there. I have been contacting recruiters, but most say I am too early and to reach out to them in October-January. I want to do most of my interviews during a 1 week vacation and would like to know which time frame is most optimal. Would early November be too early? Would early December not work because of all the holidays in December? Is February too late?

I am mostly concerned because I am out of state and Texas licensing can take 10 months so I would like to do my interviews as soon as possible, but I am also concerned that some of these recruiters are saying they won't know what opportunities will be available for 2019 until January 2019.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need to wait for a job offer to start licensensing? You could start some of that yourself as soon as you are eligible if you are 100% sure you want to move to texas and willing to pay the money... keep your receipts and hope your new employer will cover their costs.....

Yes, when I named these cities I meant the suburbs where there is less traffic. Definitely considering Fort Worth. Houston does have horrible traffic! We would want to move to a suburb like Katy where there should be less traffic. I can start licensing anytime, but am worried about if I would get a good job offer. One of the recruiters told me it's very difficult for new grads from out of state to break into these popular areas because those jobs would prefer to recruit locals first. That's why I didn't want to immediately put in the $1000 application fee without any leads yet.

Are you looking at other states too?

Again, if you are 100% sure you want to be in texas, then perhaps the 1000 committment is worth it especially if you can start right away and not loose several months ($10k+)worth of income because of delay.

If you are also looking to other parts of the country then wait....

I’m in fellowship but most of the interviews I took were from October to January. I wanted to have something lined up by April at the latest.