When do non-rolling schools usually decide whether to accept, WL, or reject you post-interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Let's say one applicant interviews in October and another interviews in January for a non-rolling school. Does the school decide the fate of the first applicant BEFORE that of the second applicant (but release the decisions for both at the same time at the end of the cycle)? Or do AdComs meet after ALL the interviews are over to make decisions for ALL applicants (aka regardless if you interviewed October vs. January, your app will only be looked at in, let's say, late January/early February)?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that there are three ongoing lists as candidates are interviewed and reviewed, A, W, R. Then everyone is notified together.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that there are three ongoing lists as candidates are interviewed and reviewed, A, W, R. Then everyone is notified together.
My apologies if I'm not understanding correctly, but if it is an "ongoing list," won't those who interviewed earlier still have an advantage, since there are more spots on the "A" list earlier on? I'm not sure how this would be different from a rolling school (besides the fact that ALL decisions are released to applicants on a single day for a non-rolling school).

My apologies if I'm not understanding correctly, but if it is an "ongoing list," won't those who interviewed earlier still have an advantage, since there are more spots on the "A" list earlier on? I'm not sure how this would be different from a rolling school (besides the fact that ALL decisions are released to applicants on a single day for a non-rolling school).
I honestly think you are stressing way too much over "in the weeds" operational issues. Schools receive many thousands of applications. Many schools interview over 1,000 people. It would be impossible for them to have one big meeting where 1,000 or more people are discussed and voted on, even if done over several days at the end.

Consequently, schools break this up over the course of the cycle. They schedule people roughly evenly throughout the cycle. They meet periodically to do their thing. There is no advantage early because there are more spots. Remember, if nothing has been communicated, and they love an unexpectedly large number of people later, they can go back and change some early As to WLs in order to accommodate the later studs! An early interviewee who had their decision changed would never know! :cool:

The fact is, the earlier IIs go to the stronger candidates at many schools, so they have an advantage there, but it's not because of the timing of their interview; it's because of the strength of their app. If someone receives an early II but cannot schedule their interview until late, they won't be at a disadvantage anywhere due to the timing of the interview.

Schools know what they are doing (for the most part! :cool:). They have a tremendous amount of institutional experience doing this year in and year out. They are not restaurants running out of lobster if you happen to have a late seating. Non-rolling schools do not run out of seats before they communicate decisions, no matter when they happen to vote on you!