When do people decide specialty?

Started by Dr. Death
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

When do you decide your specialty?

  • Before med school

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • M1

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • M2

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • M3 or later

    Votes: 15 83.3%

  • Total voters
    18

Dr. Death

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering because I feel like if you want to go into some specialties like Derm, Ortho, etc. you have to start day 1 of med school getting research experience. In third year you need to be scheduling electives/ auditions. I feel like I'm already behind because I don't know what I want to go into. Thank you for your responses. Also if I have misunderstood anything about this process feel free to correct me.
 
You're not behind, everyone I've spoken to in med school or beyond has said that everyone changes their minds. I think there's a point relatively early on when you have to decide surgical vs non-surgical, but apart from that you certainly don't have to declare your specialty on the first day of med school.
 
Just wondering because I feel like if you want to go into some specialties like Derm, Ortho, etc. you have to start day 1 of med school getting research experience. In third year you need to be scheduling electives/ auditions. I feel like I'm already behind because I don't know what I want to go into. Thank you for your responses. Also if I have misunderstood anything about this process feel free to correct me.

#1 I don't know how one can have a "feeling" about what is required to get into competitive residencies given the wealth of data out there about what people do to get into those specialties.
#2 Even if research is important, of the 13 Derm applicants who had zero research, 9 of them matched. Of those with one research project (36 applicants), 25 matched. I am in a research heavy field. The concept that you MUST do research in order to get into a particular specialty is folly.
#3 Scheduling aways is easy and not exactly time consuming.

If I had to guess...
25% 'know' what they are going into and change their mind anyways
10% 'know' what they are going into and end up going into that specialty
40% have a vague idea of what they are interested in and figure things out before MS3
15% have no idea what they are interested in and figure things out by mid MS3
10% have no idea what they are interested in and figure things out by the end of MS3 or beginning of MS4

Trying to pick a specialty before you actually see what they do day in day out is silly. Few students have extensive exposure prior to MS2/MS3, thus, for the majority of students, 'picking' a specialty before MS2/3 is a waste of time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@mimelim what about the people who "know" what they are going into but eventually have to realize that their scores aren't up to par? I'd imagine those are quite a hefty portion of the pie....
 
#1 I don't know how one can have a "feeling" about what is required to get into competitive residencies given the wealth of data out there about what people do to get into those specialties.
#2 Even if research is important, of the 13 Derm applicants who had zero research, 9 of them matched. Of those with one research project (36 applicants), 25 matched. I am in a research heavy field. The concept that you MUST do research in order to get into a particular specialty is folly.
#3 Scheduling aways is easy and not exactly time consuming.

If I had to guess...
25% 'know' what they are going into and change their mind anyways
10% 'know' what they are going into and end up going into that specialty
40% have a vague idea of what they are interested in and figure things out before MS3
15% have no idea what they are interested in and figure things out by mid MS3
10% have no idea what they are interested in and figure things out by the end of MS3 or beginning of MS4

Trying to pick a specialty before you actually see what they do day in day out is silly. Few students have extensive exposure prior to MS2/MS3, thus, for the majority of students, 'picking' a specialty before MS2/3 is a waste of time.

You forgot the significant number that decide after intern or pgy 2 or 3 year of surgery that surgery isn't for them. Repeat ad nauseum with other specialities.
 
@mimelim what about the people who "know" what they are going into but eventually have to realize that their scores aren't up to par? I'd imagine those are quite a hefty portion of the pie....

The real answer is that nobody really knows how many people are like that. Maybe there are a fair few that didn't let anyone know they wanted to do Derm, but 'changed their mind' after they got their board scores and just don't want others to know. But, I don't think that there are that many people like that. Board scores in my limited experience don't come as a surprise to most people. I don't really know many people who's plans changed after they got their score back. They may change what programs they target, but not what specialty.