1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When do schools pull people from waitlists?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kevorkian, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Kevorkian

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know when schools start pulling people off waitlists? I'm assuming its probably after they are done interviewing (march for most schools?), but each school may be different- and so, has anyone ever heard of anybody getting pulled off the waitlist and accepted before interview season was finished?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jsanchez

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    some students may be accepted from the waiting list before may 15 but i think most will get notified after this date. May 15 is the deadline to choose one school for those students who are holding multiple acceptances. Therefore, some schools will have seats opened as students withdraw their acceptance and then the school will offer that seat to a student from the waiting list, which is arranged in a specific order related to the interest that the school has for the students.
    i think this is the way its done.

4. bluesmd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i think some schools keep reviewing people who aren't accepted/rejected immediately after the interview. those people have a chance to be accepted several times before they make an official waitlist in march/april. then in may they begin to draw from the waitlist. i'm not 100% sure about this.

5. Lukkie

Lukkie Membership Revoked
    Removed

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    yeah you gotta figure that all the shemartys and such are holding on to like 20 spots each and until they start clearing, you mere mortals probably won't see much movement.

6. ThaliaNox

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It really depends on the school. A good friend of mine was accepted from the waitlist at UW-Madison about two weeks after she was put on it in November, so acceptances earlier than this spring do happen. I would imagine, however, that they are not the norm.

7. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You can look at the waitlist movement thread from last year for an idea.

Some schools re-review applicants throughout the year, but for most the action didn't start until post May 15th.

8. Decicco

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you can only hold one acceptance after may 15, then what do you do when you are offered a second acceptance from a waitlist? Do you have to choose immediately which of your acceptances you will hold onto?

9. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    iirc, You get a 2 week grace period.