When do schools start downloading amcas data?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brodaiga

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that once you have pushed "send" AMCAS will send out a list of names and email addresses to schools of the people who have submitted an application. That is how you can get a secondary a week after you submit your application and before it has been verified. Then, once you are verified, I believe AMCAS sends it immediately to the schools.

jllander said:
I believe that once you have pushed "send" AMCAS will send out a list of names and email addresses to schools of the people who have submitted an application. That is how you can get a secondary a week after you submit your application and before it has been verified. Then, once you are verified, I believe AMCAS sends it immediately to the schools.

i don't think so, i believe schools logon to download the apps themselves. I remember in last year's post people were saying, the schools really start looking at the apps and sending out secondaries in July, anybody can confirm or deny this?

Members don't see this ad :)
hum. I dunno about those rumors. I am still fairly confident that when you hit that little "send" button on the AMCAS, the AAMC emails an electronic file containing all your AMCAS data, along with a hard-copy paper file to each school on your list.

AMCAS sending out information is more sensible than schools downloading. Think about it; the schools wouldn't download everyone's info, only the people who designate which schools they want. Also, the schools would have to hit download like every day, to make sure they catch people who add more schools to the list that they want the info sent to... and finally, I don't think $30 per school justifies an electronic-only file submission service. That is simply unacceptable. It is costly because they also produce a paper file and mail that out as well, along with the administrative milieu that maintains this transmission system (personell overseeing the operation, support teams, etc.) they can justify that cost...

anyway. rest assured when you hit "submit", the schools will get it shortly, one way or another.

The medical schools start getting applications electronically from AMCAS sometime in late (?) June. I saw one Dean of Admissions on "the day" last year and that school had received 1,500 applications on that one day. At that school they come in electronically, are reviewed by adcom members using a password protected web-based system, and aren't printed until just prior to interview. (So only 700-800 applications are printed, not the thousands that are submitted for consideration).

Even with 30+ adcom members reading applications, you can see that it takes weeks to make a first pass. This is the reason, I think, that some schools send everyone a secondary & let them self-select.

I thought like CrazyCavalier last year, but I don't think it's true. There is a delay before schools get/download your info. Some do send out secondaries just on the basis of you designating them, but the ones who'll actually look at your app prior to sending out secondaries won't until roughly July at the earliest.

yeah, actually, i think it might depend on the school....i saw on some old duke threads that they started downloading applications in batches in august, and ended up sending secondaries in reverse order (ie. the people who applied earliest, in June, were downloaded last and got the secondaries a few weeks later)

If you get verified in June, you'll start getting some secondaries around mid-July and on into August.

glc549 said:
If you get verified in June, you'll start getting some secondaries around mid-July and on into August.

Just want to verify that secondaries shouldn't be showing up until around mid-July. I plan on applying in June (probably MCAT day), and want to have LOR's ready in time. Most are in, but I have one or two that won't be written until July (prof is on study abroud).

Should I worry about having the LOR's in time?, Also, is it OK to hold a secondary for, say, two weeks to get in the last LOR's before sending it out? God I hope I don't get any secondaries in June...

dajimmers said:
Should I worry about having the LOR's in time?, Also, is it OK to hold a secondary for, say, two weeks to get in the last LOR's before sending it out? God I hope I don't get any secondaries in June...

Dont' worry to much. Do what you can to get as much of your appie in asap.

Last year a fair number of applications were sent to the adcom without letters of recommendation or without all the letters. Some of these applications were rejected before the LOR arrived (because no matter what was in the letter, it would not have mattered), some were offered interviews without all the LORs (because no matter what was in the letter it wouldn't have mattered that much and could be rectified after the interview). Some had a decision regarding interview held until the LORs arrived.