caligirl714

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2004
Status
I was just wondering when I should give up? I heard some of the schools after rejecting u twice basically say stop it.

I applied 1st time this year and am not doing so well. Should I apply really early next year? I dont want to take MCAT again (i got 29 twice) and I dont think I can do much better. I did a whole lot of volunteer stuff, but still nothing. I know they'll ask what are/did u do during ur year off and i have no clue on what to say or do. any suggestions? im basically at my wits end.

thank u in advance

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
caligirl714 said:
I was just wondering when I should give up? I heard some of the schools after rejecting u twice basically say stop it.

I applied 1st time this year and am not doing so well. Should I apply really early next year? I dont want to take MCAT again (i got 29 twice) and I dont think I can do much better. I did a whole lot of volunteer stuff, but still nothing. I know they'll ask what are/did u do during ur year off and i have no clue on what to say or do. any suggestions? im basically at my wits end.

thank u in advance
Always change something.

Did you apply late this year? Then applying super early is a change.

If you applied early this year, I'd beef up your app with more *something* before I applied again. More volunteering, shadowing, a post-bacc, something.

Keep trying, though! If it's your dream, don't give up!

OP
C

caligirl714

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2004
Status
applied in nov cuz mcat and lor

i shadowed
volunteered 3 places (6mo-1yr each)
so i should shadow more?

any info on when postbac start and how to get in and stuff? (i jsut finished school in dec)

all ive been doing is working (clerical, tutor, editing research papers for Jerry's company from sdn). hopefully i get the lab ta position for spring, but if i dont what should i do?

Thank you. its just disappointing to open emails/letters of rejections day after day

good luck to everyone else though

About the Ads

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
caligirl714 said:
applied in nov cuz mcat and lor

i shadowed
volunteered 3 places (6mo-1yr each)
so i should shadow more?

any info on when postbac start and how to get in and stuff? (i jsut finished school in dec)

all ive been doing is working (clerical, tutor, editing research papers for Jerry's company from sdn). hopefully i get the lab ta position for spring, but if i dont what should i do?

Thank you. its just disappointing to open emails/letters of rejections day after day

good luck to everyone else though

I bet it is disappointing. For more info on post-baccs, I'd read that forum. Otherwise, I'd just apply as soon as you can next season. Try to have AMCAS in by 10 June and then your secondaries back within a week or two of gettting them.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
I got in with a 29. you can too. the best way to maximize this is apply early. also apply ED to ur state school. gluck.

EMDrMoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2001
Tampa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you're from California (as I would guess from your name) make SURE you apply out of state. Medical College of Ohio (soon to be Medical University of Ohio - yeah, don't ask) is VERY friendly to California students. We have around 10 in my class and it's the same every year. I wouldn't suggest more of something (shadowing) that you already have on your application. Do something new, and ALWAYS apply very, very early. It does make a huge difference. And, don't take the MCAT again. You stand a better chance of going down than up and your score is already good enough to get in. Good luck - don't give up on your dreams :)

icebrat001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Arizona
Status
Other Health Professions Student
caligirl714 said:

thank u in advance

I wouldn't give up, not yet at least.

Have you considered taking a Kaplan course or maybe retaking a class where you lack a good amount of knowledge to boost your school a little more and then work on your EC and make yourself an outside applicant and then you can reapply.

Have you considered Caribbean schools?

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Encinitas, CA
Status
If you're serious about going to school and it truly is your dream, I'm a big advocate of post-bac programs. I'm from Cali and have applied twice with no result (late both times, by the way). I then took one app cycle off and applied again this cycle (in June) after completing BUs post-bac. I've been accepted to BU and have had a lot of interviews besides that. I strongly suggest not applying again straight away so that you have time to truly dive into something new and meaningful before applying again. You can take a look at my posts in the post-bac forum and take a look at my profile for more info. Also, feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

mfrederi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Status
I'm real sorry you are going through this crap. It is by far one of the most frustrating and ego destroying times for someone our age. 29 on MCAT is not the problem. What then is the problem? The first thing I would do is contact one or more of the schools you applied to and ask to speak with or communicate with an admissions counselor. That is what I did after I get rejected the first time, and it really helped me to understand my weak points (some of which I was well aware of, others which I didn't really think about). Second, start getting your application stuff back together now. First time around I was rejected, second time I was accepted to three schools, despite very little changing on my application. The difference was that I applied pretty much the first day things could be sent in. LORs are the biggest thing you have to wait on, so get those lined up now. By the way, LOR was one of the few things that I changed in my application packet, because one of the admissions counselors that I spoke to kinda subtly told me that my pre-med LOR was not exactly helping me any. These are the kind of things you may learn talking with them. Did you apply osteopathic? I applied to an osteopathic school in Cal (Touro) that I was accepted to by early september, which greatly relieved my stress for the rest of the application process. Good luck

OP
C

caligirl714

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2004
Status
i didnt apply to DO schools since I dont have a letter from a DO, which I will probably be looking into. I applied to SGU and am just waiting for a response. My gpa is 3.8 so i really dont think i can improve much there. from what i gather its probably the "late" factor that killed me the most. My fiance is most likely going to be accepted to med school this year so I think I might have to follow. So i cant really make any decisions about post bacs yet, any clue when deadlines are?or how to fund it?
thanks everyone

raptor5

Fooled by Randomness
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
Without cell reception
i didnt apply to DO schools since I dont have a letter from a DO, which I will probably be looking into.
Don't believe the hype. I think a LOR from any physician will suffice. They want a DO LOR in some cases so they know that you know a DO is different than an MD. In most cases they are not b/c many do not practice OMM. If your scores are good you can get in DO without having a clue what Osteopathy is. Trust me I met many a student that basically lied and BS'd their way through the interview and now find out that this OMM crap people talk about is not just 1 class. Morons.
Really though I wish you the best of luck. It may be financially devestating but if you were to apply to EVERY school your chances of acceptance are pretty close to 91.7852333% +/- 8% with a 50% sampling error. Note this was not a scientific pole.

OP
C

caligirl714

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2004
Status
i thought that the DO version of amcas says you have to have a DO letter. Are the deadlines the same for DO as MD?

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
caligirl714 said:
i thought that the DO version of amcas says you have to have a DO letter. Are the deadlines the same for DO as MD?
It depends on the school. This is what I gathered awhile back...
AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, KCOM, NYCOM, OUCOM, PCOM, PCSOM, Touro (both), UNECOM, TCOM, Western--don't require a DO letter. Some require a letter from a physician, but the physician doesn't have to be a DO

LECOM, Nova, OSUCOM, VCOM--require a DO letter

MSUCOM, UMDNJ--I'm not sure
I don't know if all that's accurate. Anyway, the point is that most osteopathic medical schools do not require a letter from a DO. (However, pretty much all highly recommend that you have a DO letter.) Like raptor mentioned, it's more important than you know the basics of osteopathic medicine.

The AACOMAS is the AMCAS equivalent. The website is:
https://aacomas.aacom.org/

You can find the deadlines in the AACOM Osteopathic Medical College Information Book which is sort of like the MSAR, except it's a lot smaller.
http://www.aacom.org/data/cib/
In the above link, if you go down to the bottom of the page, you can also download the book as a PDF or request a paper copy to be sent to you. The AACOMAS deadline has passed (Feb 1). Supplemental deadlines vary.

About the Ads

OrthoFixation

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Livin' on Tulsa Time
Visit site
Status
Q. when do u know its time to give up?

A. When you're accepted.

How bad do you want it? Is it really important to you to become a physician? If it is you'll find the recipe. Lot's of good advice above. Be sure to improve your application. MCAT is fine. Widen you school net. Good luck :luck:

LSUwannabe

Just vomicked...
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
NOLA
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Sorry to hear about your trouble...some of the problem is your state (assuming you're in CA).

Beyond that, the most obvious thing is you applied in NOVEMBER!!!! :scared:

I knew a guy w/ a great app (including a 36 on the MCAT) who applied in November and didn't get in anywhere. He reapplied early and got in early.

While I understand you were waiting on the MCAT or letters, you already had a 29 and you should've gotten your letters together faster.

Applying late, especially that late can give the impression it's not that important to you...clearly the last thing you want to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm a big proponent of Master's or post-bacc programs, it's been my impression those are generally for people with poor UG gpa's (like me-2.6). You, conversely, have proven you're willing to do the work via your 3.8.

Your #'s are right at the national accepted averages for all medical schools...they're definitely not the problem!

A few things:

-definitely talk to some deans/asst deans of admission at schools...they'll tell you what you need to do.

-agreed w/ poster re: apply wisely (out of state schools that look to CA like TULANE)

-apply EARLY

-your grades/MCAT certainly aren't keeping you out

-try to do the TA thing or work at a lab/hospital...learn another language (or sign language)...give someone a kidney...anything really

-I know a lady who "consults" for applicants (she's been on ad coms), she was cheap, realistic and very helpful...PM me if you want her name/email.

llort

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
Not California
Status
caligirl714 said:
i didnt apply to DO schools since I dont have a letter from a DO, which I will probably be looking into. I applied to SGU and am just waiting for a response. My gpa is 3.8 so i really dont think i can improve much there. from what i gather its probably the "late" factor that killed me the most. My fiance is most likely going to be accepted to med school this year so I think I might have to follow. So i cant really make any decisions about post bacs yet, any clue when deadlines are?or how to fund it?
thanks everyone

I got into DO school before they recieved any of my letters of rec, so they are obviously not that big a factor. you need to stop making excuses. I believe it is still not too late to apply to a few DO schools. Dont let your fiance run your life, you dont have to follow anyone.

peptidoglycan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Just to give you some hope:

My fiance applied 5 times over a 7 year period. He is now about to graduate from med school in 3 months at age 32. Keep plugging. You can do it.

OP
C

caligirl714

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2004
Status
thank you all for the helpful advice. i truly appreciate it. i hope the best of luck to all. take care

Benzo4every1

Wine Ho
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
caligirl714 said:

thank u in advance
You didn't get in with a 29? Were you interested in just getting in or getting in to competitive med school? Try again!!!

CaliforniaBear

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2005
Status
I think you should keep trying. I was unsuccessful two years in a row and I finally got in somewhere this year. I never once thought of giving up. If this is something you really want, just keep adding to your application. Eventually they'll realize your potential and give you the shot you deserve. Try an MCAT class if you haven't already and apply early (my one regret). If I can get in somewhere with my poor GPA, you can too.

CRY2STAL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
caligirl714 said:

thank u in advance

Never caligirl! I am applying for the 4th time, and feeling like the fourth time is a charm. If it is your dream, make it happen. The second year I applied, in 1997, I also applied to law school. When I did not get into medical school, I went to law school. Five years of practicing law only convinced me medicine was truly my calling and my passion. I would not change a thing, and encourage to follow your dream.

NorCalGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
Status
This is my 2nd time applying and after only getting 2 interview invites and no acceptances the first time, this time around I got 17 interview invites and so far 5 acceptances. It's all about TIMING! My scores, GPA aren't anything spectacular. I'm from an undergrad institution that is pretty much unheard of in the world of med school admissions. I just applied EARLY and did my secondaries as soon as they came. It's all a game and I finally learned how to play it right! Good luck! Don't lose hope! :)

civic4982

FM => Geri
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2003
Where "The stars at night, Are big and bright"
Status
Resident [Any Field]
caligirl714 said:

thank u in advance
I've been working here in Orange County on my year off and I must say I feel greatly sorry for you California residents. Shiet is HARD here !!! It's so damn competitive in this state. Anyways, that said, my suggestion is to spend your year off doing something exciting. A friend of mine during his year off after Stanford undergrad went to sing in a musical and then taught MCAT classes afterwards. It doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with medicine. Also, if you want to get in in California I really do think you have to be in the 30s. It's a crapshoot otherwise. It sounds ot me like you have an otherwise fine application and just keep trying. Also, don't feel shy to apply out of state and out of country. There's a lot of great programs out there and lots of schools are Californian friendly. Good luck!

fateema368

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Minnesota
Status
I would try again, definatly! Do the standard things, increase experiance, blah,blah,blah--but save up and apply to many more schools, and I know many people reapply to the same schools over and over, but I would really avoid this. They've told you they didn't want you, move on. There not God, if they won't have you someone else will!! :D

Keep the faith, best wishes!

aabobrov

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Visit site
Status
The only thing i can say after going through all of this and having the crappy mcat scores and grades that i have is DON"T EVER give up. If you want it bad enough, somewhere, someone along the line will see your determination. Getting INTO medschool, as well as getting THROUGH medschool, is sheer determination and perseverence. You keep plucking at it and it will come. Don't give up if you want it bad enough--don't let go of your dreams just because someone says so. Good luck

fateema368 said:
I would try again, definatly! Do the standard things, increase experiance, blah,blah,blah--but save up and apply to many more schools, and I know many people reapply to the same schools over and over, but I would really avoid this. They've told you they didn't want you, move on. There not God, if they won't have you someone else will!! :D

Keep the faith, best wishes!

Juniperbee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2005
Status
You shouldn't give up. You got a good MCAT score. If you reapply, apply to many schools, m.d. and d.o.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Last year, one-quarter of all the applications arrived at one top-20 school on the first day (sent electronically from AMCAS). That's 2 applications for every interview slot, on the first day. By the time someone reads an application submitted in November, almost every interview slot has been filled and you need to be a triple legacy with 3.9 41T to get invited to interview.

About the Ads