When do we get our first financial aid check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisa13579

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may not be in the appropriate forum, but I figured you all would know since you've gone thur this before.

Does the gov. send your first financial aid check on the first day of classes? Before?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, you cannot get your check until the first week of classes. My check usually arrives several weeks before that, though, but you have to wait. This is true for most schools.

Moving to financial aid.

Um, not to be pessimistic, but don't expect your check until after classes have started, your rent, utilities, etc... have been paid, and the first round of books purchased. At some schools, you will also need to have paid medical insurance, and the cost of immunizations/titers if you don't get them done earlier in the Summer. (Cost us @500.00) My husband's MS1 orientation started the 2nd week of August, and we didn't get any money until the beginning of September.

If you are living in on-campus housing, they might allow you to pay August rent when Fin. Aid comes in, but doing that with any deposits, etc.. is highly unlikely. You can also put off purchasing some text books for awhile, but that means you will most likely forego any used book sales, which can save you HUNDREDS of dollars in the long run.

But don't worry, it gets worse. Your first check for 3rd year will come in approximately TWO months AFTER you start your rotations. Nice, huh?

Just save up, and cross your fingers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. Ask your future classmates when financial aid is ready. Some schools will have it early and others late.

Just save up, and cross your fingers!

:laugh: not a possibility....

but thanks for the info everyone.

You can also sign up for direct deposit...so the check will go in straight as cash...and there will be NO lag in getting your funds...

Check with your school, and see what the distribution dates are, and make sure there are NO HOLDS on your account!!

Best of luck...(as I hear the crack of the piggy bank on the bedroom floor)

The financial aid office at my school told us to be prepared for at least one month w/o any aid. We start school Sept. 1 and won't get checks until the very end of Sept. or early Oct. (even with direct deposit.)

My school waits until the first week of classes. They have an arrangement with a number of the rental agancies to defer payment until the students get their checks.

We get all the money in one check in the fall and have to budget all the money so as to not run out until the following year's check.

Amy,
That's really cool that your school "goes to bat" for you guys with the local apt people....that is great.
Having the self-control to budget for an entire year....WOW...people with poor impulse control...troubled waters ahead!!!