When do we give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

!) When you get in, or
2) When you realize that you want to do more with your life than wait it out in year-long admission cycles.

- and to the above poster, I was willing to move to another state and apply for the 4th time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a hard look at your application. Can you fix the things that are keeping you out? If you can, then don't give up. If it is not realistic, then find another profession.

When you're 6 feet under and growing mold or until you've found another dream goal for which to strive.

!) When you get in, or
2) When you realize that you want to do more with your life than wait it out in year-long admission cycles.

- and to the above poster, I was willing to move to another state and apply for the 4th time.
As another four-time applicant, I agree. :)

OP, if you're burnt out or unsure of what you want to do, then maybe you should take some time off and do something else while you figure out what you want to do with your life. I'm not someone who believes in fate exactly, but I do think that sometimes life is trying to tell you something when you are trying as hard as you can and not making any progress. Sometimes you need to try something different as opposed to just trying harder at doing the same old things that aren't working. I know in my case that the time I spent out of school working at a real job was easily THE biggest motivator that convinced me that I wanted to be back in school ASAP. ;)

Take a hard look at your application. Can you fix the things that are keeping you out? If you can, then don't give up. If it is not realistic, then find another profession.

Or find a medical school that cares less about the things you cannot change.

I'm planning my giving up...
Since my last rejection post interview(april 2006), I've decided that this year is my last trying(3rd). I've had a whole year to think about the fact that I may finish by not to be a physician.

Since then I push evrything at it's maximum. In other words, I really do my very very best (work application, MCAT, Shadowing, volunteer, try to know myself better in regard of the interview).

After 8 months, I start to accept the idea. I am now sure if it doesn't work this time, it will never work.

Surrender is not an option but we have to be realstic. A pig can't fly like a bird.

Good luck...

Don't give up! Finish your current degree and start a career position. Depending on your age put off a house, new car, family, ect for a few years and reapply every year. You will eventually get accepted but your life situation will be the limiting factor if you attend or not. Think of it as, "you have nothing to loose" by applying every year. Just keep your cost of living down, credit good, and created responsibilities ahead and you may just get there. Good luck.

NEVER. If this is what you really want to do it is what you will end up doing. Be persistent...it pays.

NEVER. If this is what you really want to do it is what you will end up doing. Be persistent...it pays.

DONT GIVE UP YOUR DREAM. Ok wierd thing, there was this really wierd guy in my undergrad. Always thought he was brighter than he was. He always said he was going to be a doctor, he finished undergrad with a 2.3 GPA and like 21 on his MCAT. Everyone made fun of him and knew he was dreaming, i bumped into him a month ago after 6 years of not seeing him. Turns out he is a Resident at the Most prestigious Community Hospital in the City. Turned out after he applyed to 30 med schools a year and got laughed at by all of them he went on to SABA University in the Caribbean and now is in his second year of Residency. I guess he is the one laughing now at those who made fun of him.

You don't give up unless you have an inkling that your heart is not fully set on doing the work of a physician. Being a doctor is a 24 hour job and, oddly, there are people who don't grasp this very important point until they are in the thick of things and start thinking twice about whether or not medicine really is their calling.

if you really want to be a doctor and cant get into us school after many tries, you should consider the carrbiean.

Don't give up! Finish your current degree and start a career position. Depending on your age put off a house, new car, family, ect for a few years and reapply every year. You will eventually get accepted but your life situation will be the limiting factor if you attend or not. Think of it as, "you have nothing to loose" by applying every year. Just keep your cost of living down, credit good, and created responsibilities ahead and you may just get there. Good luck.

Mountain man, I think this is EXCELLENT advise. Life circumstances forced me to leave college a year after high school - but instead of heeding your words, I got married, had kids, bought a house, developed a career... and thus had to wait until my late 30's to get back to school! Finally, after 3 years of UG, I'll start med school in fall. However, if I'd postponed a few of those things, I might have matriculated in my mid to late 20's. (And had more time to pay off my loans!)

If medicine is your dream, I'd really give a short deferral some thought...