When do you 2nd years start clinc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngmc27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys We are just finishing up our sophmore Perio Clinic requirements and getting ready to head into clinic. This got me wondering on when the normal second year student starts to see patients of record. We can start in May according to the school but normally this happens in August after we take part 1 boards. Is this normal

Members don't see this ad.

We have the opportunity to see patients through a rotation we have during the spring semester... we are paired up and we go through medical history, head/neck exam, dietary assessment, chart existing caries and restorations, perio, etc. Then we do a prophy on the patient. This is our only patient experience aside from doing our local anesthesia rotations where we give injections all afternoon on patients in the oral surgery clinic. We officially start clinic July 6, and we have to have our boards taken by July 3.

SB starts in the beginning of November, 2nd year. Probably one of the earliest schools. I don't count UOP since they have a 3 year program.

By December/January over half my classmates did their first prophy. By January/February most of us have done our first cavity prep/restoration.

Year 2 is all operative/perio + the stuff before it (med/dental history, radiology, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
We started our prophy clinic here at Case in January of our first year. *ducks and hides*

2nd years here at Colorado have transition clinic in the late fall and then start seeing their own patients for the first time in January. Think they do similar stuff to what OP does.

YES!! THE PROPHY CLINIC!!

I love that concept.

It's pretty cool how early we start here. We do the sealant program in December and January seeing kids then starting in January we start doing prophies on real patients. Seeing my 3rd one this Friday.

They have a fairly good 'ease' in going on here. We got recall patients back in the fall that mainly needed prophys or SRP. This semester we are getting freshly screened patients and can take them through comprehensive tx. The only catch being that we still have lots of classes/pre-clinic crap to attend so our availability is limited. I only have one patient that actually shows up consistantly, but I have classmates that are seeing several at this point.

Just getting those first initial awkward attempts (e.g, IAN block on a 'vocal' patient or impressions on a gagger) out of the way early is a good thing and should slightly reduce the overwhelming feeling of being in the clinic full time once we become D-3s.

I meant this thread to be when you start seeing patients for restorative treatments not just sealants or prophy Sc/Rps. We have been doing that for a while now but just wondered when you get that first real patient,:eek: and do a restoration on them.