When do you become Captain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavaor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard several versions. My recruiter said exactly 2 days before report date is when the upgrade occurs. Others have told me anytime after graduation (or degree conferring). Anyone know where the official party line is since I plan to be at my new base well in advance of two days prior and have someone at my current location that I would like to have involved in the process of giving me the rank.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard several versions. My recruiter said exactly 2 days before report date is when the upgrade occurs. Others have told me anytime after graduation (or degree conferring). Anyone know where the official party line is since I plan to be at my new base well in advance of two days prior and have someone at my current location that I would like to have involved in the process of giving me the rank.

I pinned on Captain the day I graduated from med school. If you're smart, you'll do the same as that date will have some influence on your pay.

I graduated on a Saturday, but we had an Air Force Guard General who was visiting several days prior to graduation who performed our "swearing in". So, our pin on day was the day we swore in (even though it was a couple of days prior to graduation). I think they allow a couple of days prior for instances such as this...

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any documentation that would be applicable to this for the Army? I'm hoping to show this to my recruiter.

does anyone have any documentation that would be applicable to this for the Army? I'm hoping to show this to my recruiter.

Your recruiter should know....they are the ones that usually are involved in the swearing in. A vast majority of the medical schools have some type of promotion ceremony for their students in the military during the week of graduation. Mine was the day before graduation. I think most are the within a day or two of it.

My recruiter was the one who said it had to be a couple of days before reporting. :( I'm the only one at my school, so no school ceremony- just my planning.

If you are asking about Navy medical corps, I hear it is right after you get your balls cut off.

At my school, the pinning is done 2-3 days before graduation. There is typically a fair number of HPSP students from all branches so it's a pretty big deal. There will be almost 20 of us when I get pinned in May '08.

Back in the day, you were eligible for promotion to O-3 when you had met your graduation requirements for medical school... and that's not necessarily the date of your graduation ceremony. In fact, the graduation ceremony may be several weeks after you've met your graduation requirements, so if you can get somebody to re-swear you, your date-of-rank may be several weeks earlier than your cohorts.

There's really no need to wait for the actual ceremony... the ceremony is merely a formality; a pomp-and-circumstance production that's put on for the benefit of the families, the faculty, etc. You're actually "done" with medical school (and eligible for promotion) before that date.

Ask your student affairs office when you've officially met your graduation requirements... you can probably get re-sworn then.

Can I get my SDU altered before the actual pinning ceremony? I'm going to have to leave a couple days after graduation, and the NEX usually takes 2-3wks for alterations, even something simple like adding a stripe. Will they give me problems about it, since I haven't officially put on LT?

Most of the alteration places (in fact all I have been too) do not require any kind of verification to put patches and crap on.. You pay, they play.

Can I get my SDU altered before the actual pinning ceremony? I'm going to have to leave a couple days after graduation, and the NEX usually takes 2-3wks for alterations, even something simple like adding a stripe. Will they give me problems about it, since I haven't officially put on LT?

At the academy we did a lot of crazy crap with graduation. Since we (men) had shoulderboards, it was no big deal. But women's service dress whites don't have shoulderboards, they are striped, so they put masking tape over the stripes and taped their shoulder boards on. So, maybe you can go down that path, just tape over your O-3 second stripe. Granted, I think you should be able to just wear the stupid O-3 stripes, since they do have to be sewn on, if they're having the ceremony in dress whites or blues.