when do you bend the rules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShannonIV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Spinoff from the other thread about customers behaving badly. What types of rules will you bend in your pharmacy (I'm talking mostly retail here but other types of pharmacy experiences welcome). What will you absolutely refuse to do? what will you do if management pressures you?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! Spinoff from the other thread about customers behaving badly. What types of rules will you bend in your pharmacy (I'm talking mostly retail here but other types of pharmacy experiences welcome). What will you absolutely refuse to do? what will you do if management pressures you?

Don't bend the rules because they are there to protect you usually legally speaking.

I refuse to dispense a prescription drug without a Rx. I refuse to supersize your order. If you want to complain, walk your lazy a$$ inside.

Have a nice day! :) Please, come again!

Tell them it is my license.

Depending on the situation, for small things I will bend the rules.

I.E. I will accept a C2 script with refills (granted, your not getting the med refilled), but I wont void the whole Rx like others would.

One thing that I absolutely wont do is when a patient calls and says "fill everything". I want individual names for everything and I dont care if your on 15 different meds. Often Ive seen pharms fill "everything" and often patients will get drugs that have been DC'd long ago or had dosage changes. Its a major pet peeve that I think comes from patients wanting to be lazy. I have no tolerance for that.

Corporate cant force you to fill anything and neither can the state. If theyre forcing you to fill something tell them to come down and fill it. I would suggest having a valid reason to refuse a script before you choose to do so though.

As I was told by a state official, "Its your license and your job to protect it."

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe it is because English is my second language but what does supersize my order mean?

maybe it is because English is my second language but what does supersize my order mean?

I hate the window. I think it makes pharmacy like a fast food place.

Hence, the supersize me reference. I was trying to make a joke if you have worked retail and learned to loathe the drive through.

Wait until they start to call you from the car and ask what the problem is!

That will make those years of hard studying and effort worth it!! :laugh:

The fast food retail establishment "McDonald's" used to have an option at the time of ordering wherein you can have a particular meal "supersized." This entailed increasing the size of the french fries (a fried potato side dish) and drink to extremely large portions for approximately $0.39 extra.

The use here was in jest, displaying how many patients view the pharmacy in the same light as a "fast food establishment" and not a serious place where good health care is given.

The fast food retail establishment "McDonald's" used to have an option at the time of ordering wherein you can have a particular meal "supersized." This entailed increasing the size of the french fries (a fried potato side dish) and drink to extremely large portions for approximately $0.39 extra.

The use here was in jest, displaying how many patients view the pharmacy in the same light as a "fast food establishment" and not a serious place where good health care is given.

"used" to have that option.

I get my $hit supersized all the time!!!

GO BIG or GO HOME!!

Sometimes, you have to bend the rules for the sake of the patient. The Board of pharmacy is not going to swoop down and suspend your license for a couple of pharmacist authorized refills. They understand that sometimes it is needed.

Diabetics (not syringe-seeking druggies) and epileptics can usually get some holdover medication until I get in touch with their MD...as long as it isn't controlled.

No scheduled drugs for anyone whatsoever.