BOTH When do you consider a subject "mastered"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blunt Dissection

"Keep poking until it's out."
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for the past 2 weeks or so, I've been using USMLE-Rx's QMax. I do roughly 20 timed questions or so a day, and rather than selecting a specific system to work on, I've been creating my mini-tests based on discipline instead. I'm not doing any in-depth studying at the moment since I just completed OMS-I, but I do read through all my questions and answer choices and I'll cut and paste any specific topics I get wrong from First Aid into a powerpoint (more for future use for when I started dedicated).

At this point, I've finished all the available Anatomy + Neuroanatomy questions minus the ones that were taken out to make 2 full-assessments and I'm sitting at a 78% for both. What I'd like to know is at what point do you consider a subject to be "adequately" studied and how long during dedicated study do you spend on these subjects? Reading through the little First Aid blurb on subjects, some subjects like general anatomy rank lower than others in terms of yield. Hypothetically, if you had 4 months to prep with classes, how much of your time would you spend on low yield/mastered subjects?

Members don't see this ad.

I consider a subject mastered when I can teach it well.

That's a good point - I try and do as much of that as I can by tutoring, but I find for some subjects that I have to still to back and remind myself of the details. Biochem is a good example - while I have a general picture of the pathways, if you asked me if I knew all the enzymes and intermediates, that definitely would be a no.

Reactions: 1 user