When do you get INTERVIEWS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FightingIrish01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to this, but when you apply say in around the summer after Junior year, when do you get your interviews? Are they around senior fall? Do they conflict with your classes? How do you manage it?

Also, does your senior spring GPA matter much once you get accepted to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am new to this, but when you apply say in around the summer after Junior year, when do you get your interviews? Are they around senior fall? Do they conflict with your classes? How do you manage it?

Also, does your senior spring GPA matter much once you get accepted to med school?

People get interview invites as early as mid-July. If you apply early (summer) then you should have most of your interviews in the fall. Yeah you're going to miss class, so I tried to schedule an easy course load. Besides, its college and you really shouldn't be worrying about missing a day or 2 of class here or there. even if your profs. have attendance policies, they usually won't mind you missing for interviews.

your gpa your entire senior year shouldn't matter too much (unless you apply after you graduate...duh). just make C's or better. however some schools let you send in updates after fall semester, so the grades then might matter, but its not as important as your junior year grades.

When do you apply in the summer? If you are doing something significant (research, classes) that end in, say, July, should you wait to apply till after or just go ahead and apply as early as possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
When do you apply in the summer? If you are doing something significant (research, classes) that end in, say, July, should you wait to apply till after or just go ahead and apply as early as possible?

1) Applying in the beginning of June when AMCAS is first available and mid July makes only a little difference, if any.

2) You can apply while the research is still going on. Just state that it's ongoing. Same applies for classes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you just need to have the prereqs completed upon matriculation.

And I think it's cute that the next wave of applicants are starting to come in. And I rarely use cute.

What about secondaries? If you apply at early june when do you start receiving them so you can do those, what about if you apply towards the middle of the summer?

I don't remember being able to apply in June. As I recall, AMCAS becomes available in June, but you can't submit until the beginning of July. Once schools begin downloading your primary application, you can receive a secondary at any point. I remember U South Florida writing back the next day to offer a secondary. Another school waited almost two months before I heard back.

Once a university receives your secondary, rec letters, and application fee, you will then get considered for an interview. Again, offering interviews are up to the discretion of the school and can occur at any point. You'll usually get a 2-4 weeks notice. Sometimes, a school says, "Here's the date and time of your interview. Take it or leave it." Other schools will say, "Call us anytime between now and March to schedule an interview at your earliest convenience." You can be offered an interview anytime between mid-July and the late spring.

Yes, interviews will conflict with classes. Take an easy course load if you're concerned. And your GPA still matters (somewhat) after you get accepted. You still need to graduate in good standing and should fall along the same range as when you applied. In other words, don't take the spring to mean a free ride to D city.

I don't remember being able to apply in June. As I recall, AMCAS becomes available in June, but you can't submit until the beginning of July.

Don't mean to nitpick, but just wanna clarify that this year, it was available in May and we could submit in June .:thumbup:

Once a university receives your secondary, rec letters, and application fee, you will then get considered for an interview.

Wait, you turn in your letters of recommendation at the time you submit the primary application though right(aside from any additional specific ones the school wants as a part of the secondary)? Or do you not need to have those in for them to give you a secondary?

Wait, you turn in your letters of recommendation at the time you submit the primary application though right(aside from any additional specific ones the school wants as a part of the secondary)? Or do you not need to have those in for them to give you a secondary?

No, you turn in your rec letters and secondaries directly to the schools you're applying to, at the same time. Schools will send you a secondary based upon the information you supplied in your AMCAS: GPA, MCAT, and occasionally admissions committees will read your personal statement during screening. There is not an official AAMC collecting service for rec letters. You'll either use your undergraduate campus' letter collection service, an online third-party resource, or you'll submit every letter individually to each university.