When do you start turning down interview requests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elderjack21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn’t really think that I would find myself in this situation given my rather average SDN stats - 31MCAT, 3.8GPA, non-science major with plenty of easy classes on my transcript...but how many interviews are too many?

I applied to 14 schools, and have fortunately gotten several interview requests thus far and no rejections. I have of course eagerly and graciously accepted all requests but I am starting to feel a little…weighed down by the finances and time requirements of it (in other words my boss is getting pissed that I am taking so many vacation days).

The seasons is still early, so there is plenty of time for rejections to pour in, but my question is this, how many interviews is plenty?

Obviously I wouldn’t pull my application anywhere until I have an acceptance somewhere and my top choices I would leave floating out there until I am accepted or rejected, but at what point do you say “self, I have (insert number here) interviews now, I should get into one or two of those schools, maybe I should withdraw my application at my lower tier schools so as not to waste their time and my money?”

Any words of wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really think that I would find myself in this situation given my rather average SDN stats - 31MCAT, 3.8GPA, non-science major with plenty of easy classes on my transcript...but how many interviews are too many?

I applied to 14 schools, and have fortunately gotten several interview requests thus far and no rejections. I have of course eagerly and graciously accepted all requests but I am starting to feel a little…weighed down by the finances and time requirements of it (in other words my boss is getting pissed that I am taking so many vacation days).

The seasons is still early, so there is plenty of time for rejections to pour in, but my question is this, how many interviews is plenty?

Obviously I wouldn't pull my application anywhere until I have an acceptance somewhere and my top choices I would leave floating out there until I am accepted or rejected, but at what point do you say "self, I have (insert number here) interviews now, I should get into one or two of those schools, maybe I should withdraw my application at my lower tier schools so as not to waste their time and my money?"

You never ever turn down an acceptance until you have an acceptance in hand. Once you do, you withdraw from everywhere you would not attend over that particular acceptance (taking into account fin aid issues). But never ever even consider withdrawing apps until you get in someplace, have the acceptance letter in hand, pay the deposit, etc. Now is not the time to get cocky. There is time enough for that in the winter/spring.

Please turn them down, friendly stranger. I will gladly take care of your interview invites and will pay you $150,000,000 (hundred-fifty millions) for your troubles. Will you accept a cashier's check?

Members don't see this ad :)
This obviously is a good problem to have.

Please turn them all down, problem solved, happy ending for all XD

Haha, even though I only have four interviews so far ("only" when compared to say, Jolie South) I'm starting to feel "weighted down" as well. Especially since my LSU interview is scheduled on the day of my first Biochem test, and it will probably cost me ~$400 to go to...

Congratulations. I wouldn't turn down any. You only want to go through this process once.

I didn’t really think that I would find myself in this situation given my rather average SDN stats - 31MCAT, 3.8GPA, non-science major with plenty of easy classes on my transcript...but how many interviews are too many?

Obviously I wouldn’t pull my application anywhere until I have an acceptance somewhere and my top choices I would leave floating out there until I am accepted or rejected, but at what point do you say “self, I have (insert number here) interviews now, I should get into one or two of those schools, maybe I should withdraw my application at my lower tier schools so as not to waste their time and my money?”

Agree with above. Don't turn ANYTHING down until you get an acceptance, unless you literally cannot afford to travel to the interview.

Also, don't automatically assume that a "lower tier" school is not worth your time. Last cycle, I interviewed pretty early with my state school, and was dead set on going there if accepted. I also got an interview from a "lower tier" school, but was considering turning it down if I got into a my state school. It turns out that I got an a waitlist at my state school, went on the second interview and LOVED it. It was the perfect fit for me, even though it's not as highly ranked as my state school. I got accepted there, and ended up turning down my waitlist spot at my state school. And, from the way things are going so far, I definitely made the right decision.

Bottom line: don't take anything for granted in this process. Just because a school is "low tier" doesn't mean it's not worth your time.

you can never have to many interviews!

what happens if you don't get an acceptance anywhere? I would be kicking myself for turning down any interviews at that point. Interviews do not always equal acceptances. The more you interview the greater your chances of getting in. Once you have an acceptance or acceptances, then i would start thinking about turning down interviews.

I am assuming that your numbers match the schools to which you are applying.

just my thoughts!

I appreciate the advice.

I don't assume that I will be accepted anywhere. I just count myself fortunate to be in this situation.

Last year I was in Afghanistan, just hoping I would be able to get all of my remaining 6 pre-reqs done in the two semesters I had before the application cycle and an ok score on the MCAT. So I am really really not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I will drive on with any other interviews I am lucky enough to get. It would be more than a huge let down to not get in anywhere, but stranger things have happened.

Just hope the money holds out and my boss will have to shove it (I do most of his work for him anyway, that is probably why he is giving me a hard time).

:laugh:

I shouldn't have used the phrase "low tier" to describe any of my choices. By standard naming conventions, many of my schools would be middle to low. But, my wife and I have kind of categorized all of them on our own in regards to cost of living, distance from family, and numerous other categories that suite the needs of us and our children.

So my low tier really just means a school that is in a less desirable location than my higher tier ones.

Sorry the element of "hubris" this may have added to my original statement.

Cheers!