When does application for Army scholarship start???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duke2121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the cycle start a couple of months before you begin to apply to dental school? or is it conditional on getting an acceptance first, then applying?
I'll be applying to Dental school in June. Should I be submitting the application now?

Members don't see this ad.

My (limited) understanding is that it is best to apply to HPSP concurrently with your dental school application. Do not wait until you are accepted.

I don't see a problem with contacting a recruiter now. The process is rather long.

My (limited) understanding is that it is best to apply to HPSP concurrently with your dental school application. Do not wait until you are accepted.

This is correct. You should contact a recruiter and begin your application as soon as you receive your DAT scores, and apply at the same time that you are applying for dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the cycle start a couple of months before you begin to apply to dental school? or is it conditional on getting an acceptance first, then applying?
I'll be applying to Dental school in June. Should I be submitting the application now?
A completed packet for the HPSP in all the services includes a letter of acceptance from any dental school. My opinion is that because the process involves a lot of paperwork and sometimes waivers that are required you should begin later summer/early fall when you begin doing interviews with schools to make sure everything is finalized and ready for submission when the letter of acceptance comes.

Krmower, thank you for every single input you share with the forum and i want to ask you to share what made you go with the army. I 'm applying for hsps for dental school with the army, but since i am also applying with other branches i haven't had the chance to really appreciate the opportunities and advantages of being in the army. Your help will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I started in early summer and it was a good thing. Even though I did the MEPS physical in June, there were some medical (non)issues I needed to address and by the time that was all completed and my physical approved, it was already late November, just in time for the first December board. Had I started the process later, I would've been screwed on the timing.

Contact your recruiters in early June.