When does calling an admissions office become rude

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent a vet school admissions office an email in the end of September about a mistake that I think they made regarding my admissions information and I did a follow up call with them in early-mid October. To make a long story short - I was told that the problem would be resolved before any decisions were made, but it is now November I still have no idea what's going on. Is it rude to call for another status check or should I just let this one slide a little longer. I feel rude calling again because I know all the admissions offices are slammed right now and they did say the problem would get taken care of. Any thoughts?
 
If others have heard back (assuming there's information about that school on here) then I think it's fine to POLITELY email or call them about it. Remember how busy they are, so do try and be nice, but hopefully they understand how stressed we are about our applications. 🙂
 
I think this depends on what school you're talking about. US schools haven't made any decisions yet - even those who send fairly early interview invites still have plenty of time left for people to get invitations. If you're really stressing about it, you can make another follow up but if invitations for the particular school haven't come out or aren't done coming out, I would leave it be a bit longer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you haven't received conformation that the issue is definitely fixed, I don't see any problem with calling to verify. I had to contact the school I got accepted to at least three times to finally get an issue with my GRE score verified as fixed. Ultimately, just remember to be VERY POLITE. I think the admissions office knows that applicants panic, and are typically not rude about checking on something as long as you aren't rude about asking.

Although I concur with The Redhead that if you are just panicking because an invitation hasn't reached your mailbox yet, give it time(and deep breaths). Some schools take a long time to finally notify all of their interviewees.
 
Thanks for the help guys. I think I am going to wait a little bit longer until I contact them again. No OOS decisions have even been made yet and I think I am just stressing a little bit.