When does it end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HadEnough2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted before on my main account, but tonight need to be a bit less obvious. When does the BS of residency end? I'm days from being done, yet my PD still feels the need to antagonize me. Threats of probation, messing with my head, all the same stuff that has been happening for the past couple of years keep happening. All I try to do is do a good job. I demand excellence from myself and everyone taking care of our patients. I just want the mental mindgames to end. She is a terrible person and if you're not one of her favorites, she makes your life hell. I have lost years off of my life because of the stress she has caused me and apparently it still isn't ending. So, I ask, when do these games end? I'm sick of it and honestly want to quit with a bit over a month left because it's not worth it anymore.

*Intentionally vague. Looking for some perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh I'm sorry OP, but if one more month is all you've got left try and hang on. No sense throwing career away this close to the finish line.

Can you provide details regarding field, academic standing, any adverse or reportable actions on your record, future plans, etc?

Also, are you allowed to have a main account and a side account? You pretty much just told us you have multiple accounts. Given the circumstances and a tone of desperation, maybe mods will allow an exception?

Last edited:
The BS ends when your contract is done.

Then leave with a smile knowing you never have to deal with this type of hell again.

You have a little over a month. Don't do anything dumb, finish, take a nice 4 to 6 week vacation, and start a job and make some money.

Reactions: 8 users
I've posted before on my main account, but tonight need to be a bit less obvious. When does the BS of residency end? I'm days from being done, yet my PD still feels the need to antagonize me. Threats of probation, messing with my head, all the same stuff that has been happening for the past couple of years keep happening. All I try to do is do a good job. I demand excellence from myself and everyone taking care of our patients. I just want the mental mindgames to end. She is a terrible person and if you're not one of her favorites, she makes your life hell. I have lost years off of my life because of the stress she has caused me and apparently it still isn't ending. So, I ask, when do these games end? I'm sick of it and honestly want to quit with a bit over a month left because it's not worth it anymore.

My last shift of residency was on the last night of June, and was an ED shift that ended at 23:00,.

At 23:00 my attending asked me if I wanted feedback on my shift. I said no.

So I guess that's when it ended, for me.

You are almost there. Just get through it. It's a great feeling when you do.

Reactions: 15 users

Dude you are almost there! It's one more month. I'd lay low and just suck it up now. Just think next month when you are done how satisfying it will be!

Reactions: 1 user
Here is what I would do: keep a stiff upper lip, and your head down focusing on the @Light at end of tunnel (i had to, sorry).

Taking what you say at face value, the PD just does not like you. It happens, far more than we like to admit. Who cares. Something tells me though that if you succumb to the PD's childish tactics by resigning, the PD wins.

Whatever they are doing is getting under your skin, but you have to be smarter than that. Theyve tried labeling you as a subpar physician because of their personal animus toward you. It clearly hasnt worked, because youre set to graduate in a month, and this is driving your PD bonkers.

So they are picking on you trying to make your life miserable, and because of the power differential you have to grab your ankles and smile. When you walk out of there in good standing destined for a promising future, the miserable PD loses this silly game, you leave with your head held high and get the last laugh (which is the only one that matters).

Stick it to your PD by rising above their childish antics. Some PD's apparently never leave grammar school.

Last edited:
The BS never ends. Sure, you'll leave this PD, but there will be other hospital administrators lining up to give you crap all day long and tell you what to do. Your patients wait by carefully just to sue you and complain about you. If you're smart, you didn't get married, cause the last thing you need after a day of doctoring is to come home to a spouse who yells at you for spending too much time at a job you hate while they sit around and spend all your money.

But none of these people can stop time. The sweet, sweet embrace of death will be upon you before you know it.

Reactions: 14 users
The BS never ends. Sure, you'll leave this PD, but there will be other hospital administrators lining up to give you crap all day long and tell you what to do. Your patients wait by carefully just to sue you and complain about you. If you're smart, you didn't get married, cause the last thing you need after a day of doctoring is to come home to a spouse who yells at you for spending too much time at a job you hate while they sit around and spend all your money.

But none of these people can stop time. The sweet, sweet embrace of death will be upon you before you know it.
Jesus.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users

90 percent sarcasm and maybe 15 percent legit advice?

OP is going through a tough time, and you tell them, albeit in a veiled manner, that the best they have to look forward to is death?

Don't do anything dumb, finish, take a nice 4 to 6 week vacation, and start a job and make some money.

If only. Instead I'm moving all the way across the country for fellowship and only have about 48 hours after I am done until I leave. But the fact that I even got a fellowship also makes her mad, so I'm just waiting for her to somehow not graduate me.

If only. Instead I'm moving all the way across the country for fellowship and only have about 48 hours after I am done until I leave. But the fact that I even got a fellowship also makes her mad, so I'm just waiting for her to somehow not graduate me.

Knowledge is power, so listen carefully.

Per ACGME, a program MUST give you 4 months notice of non renewal/termination. She is, technically and legally, past that point. Additionally, prior to putting someone on proibation, you need to try and remediate them, per ACGME policy. There are a few things the ACGME takes as seriously as due process (becaause that is one of only things the COURTS take seriously, get it?).

She is a miserable louzy PD, that is all. She seems to get gratification from intimidating her residents. But its obvious she scares the **** out of her residents, including you.

You are fine, breathe.

If anything, she seems like a lawyer's wet dream. A train wreck of abuse, intimidation, harassment, due process violation, etc. She is toying you, that is all, because without firing you, even with all her non sense, she hasnt technically caused you any damages in a legal way that would stand up to a motion to dismiss.

She is playing with you, in so many ways. There is no way you are the first resident to feel her wrath.

Smile and realize that misery loves company.

Last edited:

OP is going through a tough time, and you tell them, albeit in a veiled manner, that the best they have to look forward to is death?

No, he said "don't sweat the small stuff" because in the end we all die. Not even Spicer can spin in it the way I just did!

Sorry to break it, but it never ends.
Did you remember asking that question in high school after getting to college?
Then you asked that question again while studying for MCAT
Then you got your acceptance to medical school
Then you graduated
Then you were a MS1
Then you finished your Step 1
Then you finished your core rotations
Then your Subi
Then your interviews
Then you matched residency

Guess what. It never ends. Especially not in medicine. It will forever be a game. Whether it be with those above you in the department, your insurance, your accountants, your patients, your lawyers. IT WILL NEVER END.

Unless you walk.
Walk away from it all. And do something else you would enjoy better

Reactions: 2 users
that can be said about anything worthwhile in life, though

survival of the fittest i guess

if it was easy, it wouldnt be medicine as we know it; weve all had ups and downs...

i would never walk away from the very worthwhile things such as

eating food
sunlight
warm weather

and every 3 days, sleep

Reactions: 1 users

OP asked for perspective.

Indeed. It doesn't end until you're Professor Emeritus.

Reactions: 1 users
Guess what. It never ends. Especially not in medicine. It will forever be a game. Whether it be with those above you in the department, your insurance, your accountants, your patients, your lawyers. IT WILL NEVER END.

If your standard for it 'ending' is no stress at all, then it never ends until you retire.

On the other hand, if by 'ending' you mean life isn't awful anymore, it ends when you finish residency. The horrific hours, the abusive bosses, the powerless relationship with your 'support' services, and the feeling of walking on eggshells all end, completely, the second you walk out the door on your last day. You go from having one of the first world's worst jobs to one of the best. Life goes back to being, if not perfect, as least as good as you can reasonably hope for.

Reactions: 5 users
If your standard for it 'ending' is no stress at all, then it never ends until you retire.

On the other hand, if by 'ending' you mean life isn't awful anymore, it ends when you finish residency. The horrific hours, the abusive bosses, the powerless relationship with your 'support' services, and the feeling of walking on eggshells all end, completely, the second you walk out the door on your last day. You go from having one of the first world's worst jobs to one of the best. Life goes back to being, if not perfect, as least as good as you can reasonably hope for.

I will hope what u said is true

Knowledge is power, so listen carefully.

Per ACGME, a program MUST give you 4 months notice of non renewal/termination. She is, technically and legally, past that point. Additionally, prior to putting someone on proibation, you need to try and remediate them, per ACGME policy. There are a few things the ACGME takes as seriously as due process (becaause that is one of only things the COURTS take seriously, get it?).

She is a miserable louzy PD, that is all. She seems to get gratification from intimidating her residents. But its obvious she scares the **** out of her residents, including you.

You are fine, breathe.

If anything, she seems like a lawyer's wet dream. A train wreck of abuse, intimidation, harassment, due process violation, etc. She is toying you, that is all, because without firing you, even with all her non sense, she hasnt technically caused you any damages in a legal way that would stand up to a motion to dismiss.

She is playing with you, in so many ways. There is no way you are the first resident to feel her wrath.

Smile and realize that misery loves company.
Lol man are you even a resident yet or did you just pull all these suppositions out of thin air?

Reactions: 5 users
Lol man are you even a resident yet or did you just pull all these suppositions out of thin air?

They are not suppositions. You can find most of these policies, written and documented per policy, on the ACGME website or within each hospital's resident handbook.

Also, maybe @aProgDirector can weigh in on the policies and such, but promise I'm not making this stuff up. Too important for OP sake to joke around about something that is important to them.

They are not suppositions. You can find most of these policies, written and documented per policy, on the ACGME website or within each hospital's resident handbook.

Also, maybe @aProgDirector can weigh in on the policies and such, but promise I'm not making this stuff up. Too important for OP sake to joke around about something that is important to them.
They can outright fire you at any time they damn well please. Are you saying if you strip naked at the nurses station and run around chirping like a bluebird you can't be fired because you're within 4 months of your contract ending?

Oh let me clarify, thanks for bringing the point up though.

Adverse action related to academic reasons pertaining to the core competencices have to follow the GME policies with respect to notice, remediation/probation and then termination.

Things that do not fall under the umbrella of academic performance, such as assaulting a nurse, using drugs at work, lying on formal documentation, etc. would not lend themselves to the ACGME policies. Instead, they would fall under the umbrella of HR. So yes, you would be fired rather quickly for assaulting a patient, because that is a crime, but also not really something you can remediate with an academic remediation plan.

You are right though, they can fire you for any damn reason they well please, and this has happened to residents before.

Here is a copy/paste of small portion of the University of Missouri's resident "handbook" available online via quick google search:

Title: GME-01 Academic Deficiency Policy

c. The length of time the resident has to accomplish the improvement.

1. The consequences of not accomplishing the improvement, which could include termination from the program or non-promotion.

2. Notice that the probationary period is a permanent entry in the

resident’s academic record and must be reported to all future

licensing and credentialing bodies.

3. A copy of the GME grievance policy (GME-09)

4. Notice that the faculty will meet at the end of the probationary

period to review the resident’s performance and determine whether the required remediation was accomplished and that the probation was successfully completed.

5. Notice should be given if the probationary period extends beyond March 1 in an academic year. A date should be set forth in the letter of probation by which the resident will receive notice of non- renewal or termination.

6. The resident should provide written acknowledgement of receipt of the letter of probation and the GME grievance policy. A copy of all documents will be maintained in the resident’s academic file and a copy sent to the GME office.
4. Notice of non-renewal or termination of the resident’s appointment must be given to the resident no later than March 1 of the academic year, absent exceptional circumstances. If the probationary period extends beyond March 1 of the academic year, the new date for notice of non-renewal or termination should be set forth in the letter of probation

-----

In bold, please find the reference to notice of termination having to be no later than March 1st, that is 4 months prior to end of academic year.

Just one example, I literally googled gme/handbook.Virtually all programs have similar policies that respect due process.

Programs generally don't take the time to educate their students and residents on such policies because then it means they have to provide them the opportunities to make use of the grievance and appeal processes, which can be very costly to a program in terms of resources.

Last edited:
@Light at end of tunnel we appreciate your contributions, but just because they are official ACGME policies doesn't mean that everything is followed to the letter of the law. Your profile says MD/PHD student, you'll see once you become a resident things tend to be much, much more different. You can still be fired for cause just like any other job on the spot, but these are usually egregious offenses not clinical deficiencies.

Residency is a total rat race, and some programs are quite malignant. Every generation has their own "back in my day" stories, but it seems like the overall experience is improved from the past (where 72 hour in-house weekend call, 100+ hour weeks) were more commonplace in strenuous surgical and medical training programs. There absolutely is a light at the end of the tunnel - no job is paradise and everywhere will present unique problems, but after residency you'll achieve board certification which makes you incredibly mobile as a physician. Don't like an area or a job? Go find another one. Academics, private practice, hospital employee and the like will all have different challenges and pros and cons. Some job markets are pretty tight (Cardiology immediately comes to mind), but overall it is not difficult to find a good paying job as a physician.

@Light at end of tunnel we appreciate your contributions, but just because they are official ACGME policies doesn't mean that everything is followed to the letter of the law. Your profile says MD/PHD student, you'll see once you become a resident things tend to be much, much more different. You can still be fired for cause just like any other job on the spot, but these are usually egregious offenses not clinical deficiencies.

Residency is a total rat race, and some programs are quite malignant. Every generation has their own "back in my day" stories, but it seems like the overall experience is improved from the past (where 72 hour in-house weekend call, 100+ hour weeks) were more commonplace in strenuous surgical and medical training programs. There absolutely is a light at the end of the tunnel - no job is paradise and everywhere will present unique problems, but after residency you'll achieve board certification which makes you incredibly mobile as a physician. Don't like an area or a job? Go find another one. Academics, private practice, hospital employee and the like will all have different challenges and pros and cons. Some job markets are pretty tight (Cardiology immediately comes to mind), but overall it is not difficult to find a good paying job as a physician.

Hi Admiral. The bold part is especially true. Assuming a resident is truly doing their best to be a good resident, when a disregard of a program's policices occurs, it generally tends to work in the resident's favor. I am simply saying that we should be aware of the way things are supposed to be, so that we could make the most informed decisions when any particular scenario deviates from that expected norm.

As you allude to, residents already live and die by the whims of their programs and program directors. The least we can expect is for the programs to abide by their own policies.

Edit: The OP has shared that her PD threatens her with probation/termination with less than 1 month left in her training. I have no reason to believe that OP is being untruthful about her performance and standing within the program. As such, I do think that reassuring her by demonstrating that any adverse action taken against her at this point in her training would fly in the face of common sense rules/policies. Can the PD put her on probation? Sure. Would that probation at this point in training amount to anything more than a manifestation of the PD's personal animus toward the OP? Extremely unlikely, and therefore easily reversed at the appeal level.

Overall, the PD would be a fool to put her on probation at this point barring a massive breach of professionalism.

Last edited:
They can outright fire you at any time they damn well please. Are you saying if you strip naked at the nurses station and run around chirping like a bluebird you can't be fired because you're within 4 months of your contract ending?

I thought all psych residents did that.

Reactions: 6 users
Was in similar situation. I would say put your head down and graduate but you are going to do that anyway. The old saying " They can always hurt you more but can't stop the clock" is true but. Guess who they are going to contact every time you apply for a state license or a job and if you have any problem in your fellowship guess who the first person your fellowship PD is going to call? My advice is to some how be the better person and try to end your residency with this type of discussion with your PD. " Well I did not always agree with you but in the end I did get a great education and I got my fellowship so obviously you know what you are doing and thanks." Then go grab many adult drinks, put another notch on your belt towards growing up and smile each time anyone sends paperwork to your PD.

Reactions: 7 users
wait wait wait............................................... podiatry?

ok shameless story:
Pod resident talking to me --hey can I see the patient I heard he is in V-fib. Me yes he coded 3 am and I have had no sleep but he is all yours. Pod resident so will I need to know anything special about V-fib?

and the shameless part at am report:
Mr.X coded 3 am and was a full code which was unsuccessful tod was 345 am podiatry will see him this am.

Last edited:

ok shameless story:
Pod resident talking to me --hey can I see the patient I heard he is in V-fib. Me yes he coded 3 am and I have had no sleep but he is all yours. Pod resident so will I need to know anything special about V-fib?

Mr.X coded 3 am and was a full code which was unsuccessful tod was 345 am podiatry will see him this am.

Man can you imagine a real resident saying something like that? hahaha

Reactions: 3 users
Once you are thru residency, you may well encounter douchebag administrators, physician partners, etc. but you have the power to walk away and take your skills that are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars/year somewhere else. You know it and they know it.

Reactions: 3 users

ok shameless story:

What did you say to him when he asked that question?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

What did you say to him when he asked that question?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile
I actually was nice, believe it or not and took him aside and explained the dif between a-fib and v-vib with the first being alive and the other not currently alive and unfortunately in this instance not compatible with life. I was also upset with losing a pt.

Agree with the comment above "it will never end"!

End guess what, now it is a lousy PD that gives you a hard time, when you are junior attending then it is a more powerful "viagra" popping jerk who thinks your success will makes his "penis" look small that will give you a hard time… and as a senior attending your enemies will be more powerful and more vicious…

so repeat after me: "it will never end".

You will work harder as an attending esp during the beginning of your career. But, I get to have my own schedule w/o being on someone else's. Priceless! Also get better office space, autonomy.

ok shameless story:

This can't be real

But I really hope it is, cause it's really funny

You will work harder as an attending esp during the beginning of your career. But, I get to have my own schedule w/o being on someone else's. Priceless! Also get better office space, autonomy.
When you are an attending you will work the number of hours you negotiated for. It doesn't have to be harder than being a resident. It doesn't even need to be full time.

FWIW I don't know a single resident who is working harder as an attending. I don't know anyone who is even close. I have heard of rough one year partnership tracks, but those are rare and not really normal attending life anyway.

When you are an attending you will work the number of hours you negotiated for. It doesn't have to be harder than being a resident. It doesn't even need to be full time.

FWIW I don't know a single resident who is working harder as an attending. I don't know anyone who is even close. I have heard of rough one year partnership tracks, but those are rare and not really normal attending life anyway.

Ok I'll bite.

I work harder as an attending.

Our contracts are take it or leave it style. There is no negotiation.

Our partnership tracks are three years. We're also full of stories of people getting screwed over in those three years and never actually making partner.

Ok I'll bite.

Our partnership tracks are three years. We're also full of stories of people getting screwed over in those three years and never actually making partner.
How hard did you work as a resident and how hard are you working now? How many hours/week? How many days off/month?

FWIW I don't know a single resident who is working harder as an attending. I don't know anyone who is even close.

Really? I know of many new surgical attendings who may disagree with you, particularly out in practice as they take extra call and consults to pay down debt and establish their practice. This may be different than in the past as residents were pulling 36 hour shifts and entire weekend in-house chief calls, with duty hour restrictions these sorts of things don't happen anymore.

Ok I'll bite.

Heard this one many times across several specialties. Attendings work differently (maybe less pointless running around), but not necessarily less than residents.

Really? I know of many new surgical attendings who may disagree with you, particularly out in practice as they take extra call and consults to pay down debt and establish their practice. This may be different than in the past as residents were pulling 36 hour shifts and entire weekend in-house chief calls, with duty hour restrictions these sorts of things don't happen anymore.

So I guess I should qualify my statement more than I did. Here is a more qualified statement:

I don't know of any new civilian attendings, coming out of a normal, high workload residency, who are working more hours as an attending than as a resident as a requirement to keep their primary, non partnership track job.

I do know of new attendings who came out of a residency with insanely low work hours, who then worked harder as attending. Mostly ER docs, but also occasionally FP and Psych. These were usually the same guys who would whine about moonlighting regulations in residency and would whisper to you about how they were cheating on the moonlighting rules, because they had so many free days in residency that they wanted to work multiple extra days per week.

I do know of partnership track employees, or docs who are opening their own practices, or brand new academic attendings, who are sucking it up for a year or two to advance their careers. I haven't heard of anyone putting up with a hard three year partnership track before this thread but I guess it exists.

I do know of people who hate student loan debt and work either an extra job, or extra hours at their primary job, to pay it off.

Finally I do know a number of military doctors who found out that they were sent to a clinic where they were expected to pick up the slack of multiple other providers who were deployed or otherwise unable to see clinic, and who were effectively working multiple full time jobs.

The main point that I was making is that a civilian attending you will be negotiating for your hours, and assuming you don't insist on living in DC or Manhattan you should be able to negotiate for 200K/year in exchange for no more than 45 hours/week of work. The title of this thread is 'when does it end?' Once you're an attending, it ends when you want it to. If you have other goals, and you want to work resident hours for a few more years to achieve those goals ,that's fine. However when a resident who is clearly sick of that **** is asking when it ends, the answer is that there is a 200K job with reasonable hours waiting for you the day you walk out of residency.

The clock hasn't stopped, so that's good. It's been more of the same, but the end is closer at least.