When does Mendels law of segregation and independent assortment occur?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When does Mendels law of segregation and independent assortment occur?

Please only answer if your 150 percent positive it is correct. The reason I ask this , is I AM NOT KIDDING, but I have googled and get literally different answers every single time as to the exact phases of Meiosis these laws happen in . Crazy ! that even university websites clash in this information so I am lost as to what to write down?

the only law i find some agree on is that the law of indep assortment is in Metaphase 1

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Law of segregation: one member of each chromosome pair migrates to an opposite pole so that each gamete is haploid (aka each gamete has only one copy of each allele), occurs in anaphase I.

This is straight from Feralis Notes, I would go with anaphase .

Law of segregation: one member of each chromosome pair migrates to an opposite pole so that each gamete is haploid (aka each gamete has only one copy of each allele), occurs in anaphase I.

This is straight from Feralis Notes, I would go with anaphase .

Thank you, I even emailed a genetics professor and still got an ambiguous answer not specific phases lol "" He said in both, as both in meiosis 1 and 2 you have independent random assortment of chromosomes ""

and regarding your answer, in Google I saw some websites say anaphase 1 also. Then others even threw in anaphase 2

I mean I guess tecnically anaphase 1 and 2 since its both random assortments right ? Really the only difference being that in anaphase 1 we are dealing with a tetrad 'X' and in anaphase 2 we deal with chromatids '/' being the chromosomes .

I am gonna take a wild guess and say this is not going to be tested on and if it is the answer choices wont be confusing like picking between anaphase 1 and 2 for the law of segregation lol

They both happen during anaphase when the chromatids detach from each other.

Law of segregation - when the chromatids split from homologue and go to separate cell.
Independent assortment- chromosomes from mom/dad independly assort when they split. so different combinations can be made for greater diversity.

Members don't see this ad :)
They both happen during anaphase when the chromatids detach from each other.

Law of segregation - when the chromatids split from homologue and go to separate cell.
Independent assortment- chromosomes from mom/dad independly assort when they split. so different combinations can be made for greater diversity.
I am pretty sure you are wrong on the Independent assortment . That happens in Metaphase 1 which is when crossing over happens. By the time the chromosomes line up they are still in a tetrad but the crossing over has stopped

I am pretty sure you are wrong on the Independent assortment . That happens in Metaphase 1 which is when crossing over happens. By the time the chromosomes line up they are still in a tetrad but the crossing over has stopped

you right, I'm wrong!