When does OU begin interviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wallypredoc

Member Deluxe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the University of Oklahoma's College of Dentistry start interviews in early September? I have an interview there on October 6th, and was wondering if I'm early or in the middle.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I found out today in my interview...OU's first batch of interviews was today, October 6th.

Well, I found out today in my interview...OU's first batch of interviews was today, October 6th.
How was the interview? Can you please let us know how it went and what type of questions they asked?
How many applicants were there in your group?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed at OU on the 6th.

Most laid back interview process I've had so far. We had 35 people in the morning there to interview; another 15 showed up in the afternoon. 3 interviews, 20 to 40 minutes each.

It's open file, so they know everything about you already. One of my interviews we talked about the differences in BBQ between Kansas City and Oklahoma. Another interview we talked about football. They just want to get to know you. That being said, I did have one interview where I was asked all the usual questions, but he did so in a very conversational way.

You'll also get to talk to a student panel to ask any questions in an open forum situation.

Good luck

This is exactly what you can expect.

How was the interview? Can you please let us know how it went and what type of questions they asked?
How many applicants were there in your group?

Thanks a lot

All three of the one-on-one interviews are very relaxed. Oklahoma is a friendly place and the dental school is much a part of that tradition. OU weighs 50% on the interview (5 parts) and 50% on academics (DAT, overall GPA, & science GPA).

The interview is broken down into five components…

1. Hand skills – They will ask how you have demonstrated any type of hand skill throughout your life

2. Interpersonal skills – This has to come naturally, expressed throughout the entire interview

3. Volunteering/community service – if you didn’t do much of this but you had a job throughout college or took care of your dying family member, they will probably cut you some slack in this section (basically give you 3-4 points out of the 5 that each section is worth).

4. Leadership qualities/positions – Again, if you haven’t played any specific role in leadership you can use a job or life experience that you have had to express how you have had to take control of certain situations.

5. Forgot… I will post later if I remember

Here are five questions/statements you should probably know how to respond to...

"So, tell me a little bit about yourself."

"Describe to me a situation that you have been in that required you to make an ethical decision."

"What types of ethical decisions do dentists have to make on a daily basis?"

“If you were given a day to do whatever you want, without having to worry about any responsibilities, what would you do?”

“Do you have any questions for me?”

The "tell me about yourself question" gives YOU the opportunity to make an interview "platter." Whatever you choose to put on that "platter" will typically decide how the interview will unfold. Choose some of the most significant things you would like to talk about throughout the interview and put them on the "platter." It's good to remember that the people interviewing you are busy and are interviewing a lot of people, so it is your job to make the interview easy on them. Do not make them dig and dig, trying to get to know who you are. Throw it all out on the table in the very beginning, and give them an extended response to every question that covers all relating topics to the particular question. This gives your interviewer time to write things down, and allows them to do less talking/digging.

Examples:

Maybe talk about your trip to the school (if it was quite the adventure)
Mention where you are from and what you like to do (Stay casual)
Tell them about some of your goals that have changed throughout the years
What triggered your interest in dentistry (why you want to be a dentist in one or two words)
Mention your biggest challenges and what motivates you in your daily life

Don't forget to ask them questions so that they can talk about themselves! These are accomplished people who have great things to say. A good question is "What brings you to this dental college?' Ask them in a way that lets them know you are trying to figure out what is so great about the city and the dental college.

This is exactly what you can expect.

All three of the one-on-one interviews are very relaxed. Oklahoma is a friendly place and the dental school is much a part of that tradition. OU weighs 50% on the interview (5 parts) and 50% on academics (DAT, overall GPA, & science GPA).

The interview is broken down into five components…

1. Hand skills – They will ask how you have demonstrated any type of hand skill throughout your life

2. Interpersonal skills – This has to come naturally, expressed throughout the entire interview

3. Volunteering/community service – if you didn’t do much of this but you had a job throughout college or took care of your dying family member, they will probably cut you some slack in this section (basically give you 3-4 points out of the 5 that each section is worth).

4. Leadership qualities/positions – Again, if you haven’t played any specific role in leadership you can use a job or life experience that you have had to express how you have had to take control of certain situations.

5. Forgot… I will post later if I remember

Here are five questions/statements you should probably know how to respond to...

"So, tell me a little bit about yourself."

"Describe to me a situation that you have been in that required you to make an ethical decision."

"What types of ethical decisions do dentists have to make on a daily basis?"

“If you were given a day to do whatever you want, without having to worry about any responsibilities, what would you do?”

“Do you have any questions for me?”

The "tell me about yourself question" gives YOU the opportunity to make an interview "platter." Whatever you choose to put on that "platter" will typically decide how the interview will unfold. Choose some of the most significant things you would like to talk about throughout the interview and put them on the "platter." It's good to remember that the people interviewing you are busy and are interviewing a lot of people, so it is your job to make the interview easy on them. Do not make them dig and dig, trying to get to know who you are. Throw it all out on the table in the very beginning, and give them an extended response to every question that covers all relating topics to the particular question. This gives your interviewer time to write things down, and allows them to do less talking/digging.

Examples:

Maybe talk about your trip to the school (if it was quite the adventure)
Mention where you are from and what you like to do (Stay casual)
Tell them about some of your goals that have changed throughout the years
What triggered your interest in dentistry (why you want to be a dentist in one or two words)
Mention your biggest challenges and what motivates you in your daily life

Don't forget to ask them questions so that they can talk about themselves! These are accomplished people who have great things to say. A good question is "What brings you to this dental college?' Ask them in a way that lets them know you are trying to figure out what is so great about the city and the dental college.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate that.