When drawing CN, how do I know it has a triple bond instead of double bond?

Started by saoj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

saoj

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On a TBR passage I was asked to calculate the formal charge of Cr(CN)6. That requires me to first know the formal charge of CN. The solution states it is -1 like it was as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4. 😕

So my confusion:

1) To calculate the formal charge of CN I have to draw the Lewis structure with lone pairs and bonds, correct?

2) How do I know that CN has a triple-bond instead of a double-bond?

I guess if I cannot correctly draw CN, I will not be able to calculate its correct formal charge, right?

What is the best way of attacking this problem?
 
On a TBR passage I was asked to calculate the formal charge of Cr(CN)6. That requires me to first know the formal charge of CN. The solution states it is -1 like it was as obvious as 2 + 2 = 4. 😕

So my confusion:

1) To calculate the formal charge of CN I have to draw the Lewis structure with lone pairs and bonds, correct?

2) How do I know that CN has a triple-bond instead of a double-bond?

I guess if I cannot correctly draw CN, I will not be able to calculate its correct formal charge, right?

What is the best way of attacking this problem?

You should know CN has a triple bond the same way you know that CH4 is all single bonds. CN- is a nitrile group, also something you should know.

If, however, you don't know, you can figure it out.

C wants to make 4 bonds, Nitrogen wants to make 3 bonds. Obviously you can't have a quadruple bond, but you can make a triple bond so at least nitrogen is happy.