When hiring an associate...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will dentists take into consideration academics, or are other factors usually the motivating ones when hiring somebody? If academics are important, then what would typically weigh more heavily--dental school GPA/class rank or board scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Gavin buddy your are way too strung on grades. I have NEVER heard of an associate asking for a grade card!!!!!!

I would think personality and experience would be more relevant than grades and board scores. Most hiring dentists probably don't even care to see your grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes what critterbug said was true. they take ur personality and workskills into account rather than ur grades

My boss has ~5 associate dentists under his wing. He always looks for people who are not greedy, who are obedient, kind and deligent. He doesn't really care about grades as long as one holds a license to practice.

c132 said:
Gavin buddy your are way too strung on grades. I have NEVER heard of an associate asking for a grade card!!!!!!

Which is what I assumed, but one of my classmates wanted to know, and I didn't know the answer so I thought I'd turn to people who would know the answer.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah most dentists know that grades and dexterity have nothing in common, well maybe a little. When my friends who graduated last year found an job as an ass. they "tried" them out for 30 days. If the dentist liked their work, and they were OK in the speed department, they got the job. Sad to say though a few didn't!!!

Also a dentist that is willing to pay 28 -30% will expect to find a great beginning dentist.

A dentist that is willing to pay 20-22% can't really expect to find someone with speed at all. Some dentists just don't want to pay the associate any money at all. YOu have to look out for these people.

They just want you because you will make them money!!!

I have done a lot of "looking" into this matter for I plan on working as an ass. for a year or so. I have asked about 20 people whom I met in dental school that graduated in front of me and some are making GREAT money, and some aren't making squat.

one guy I know is making around $150k, and working 4.5 days a week. While a girl I know is making about 85k and she is working the same amount!!!!!

IN SHORT, don't take the first job you get offered. Look for a catch, and look around for better deals. As once you sign the covidence (spelling?) your shafted!!!!!

c132 said:
I have done a lot of "looking" into this matter for I plan on working as an ass. for a year or so....
IN SHORT, don't take the first job you get offered. Look for a catch, and look around for better deals. As once you sign the covidence (spelling?) your shafted!!!!!

Good point. It is a good method to prevent noob ass.'s from getting the shaft...I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :laugh:

i have seen advertisements in some places that are looking for dentists and that you have to be in the top 25% of your class to be able to apply...how strict they are on that i'm not sure but yeah...grades do apply sometimes...

I would like to see one of these advertisements!!! UNless its one of those dentists who did well in school, just not well enough to get into a residency, so he wants to make it clear that HE finished in the top 25%.

I would say don't even apply to these types of people, for your life will probably be a lot better with a laid back "boss"

As a co-owner of a practice that is begining to think about adding a 3rd dentist in the next few years, I can honestly tell you that my partner's and my philosophy about who we'll hire when its time to will be 98% about personality and philosophy of treatment and 2% about grades(99.99% of that 2% will be are they licensed to practice in CT :D )

If anyone is looking at a practice where grades are the most important thing, let me clue you in on something, this WON'T be the practice you'll be working at for the rest of your career(especially if you eventually want to be a partner someday). Patients don't care about your grades, heck they barely even care about where you went to dental school (They'll often (if at all) ask where you went to school as they're nervously trying to "break the ice" with you on their first visit).

The number one thing that you as future potential assosciates/partners that you should be concerned with is how do you get along with the senior partner. If you can't get along with them either philosophically about treatment or as a person, don't work there, you won't be comfortable/happy(even if your being paid big $$). The best way to sum this up is as my wife puts it: I actually have 2 wives, her and my partner(he's what my "real wife" calls my "work wife" :D) That's the type of professional realtionship you need to have to make "the business of dentistry" work on a long term basis.