When/how to update programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDchouette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the etiquette for updating programs? Is it best to wait until closer to interview season, or to wait until after the Dean's letter is in? I was planning on sending a typed letter to the PDs of the programs to which I'm applying.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off I will say I don't know the proper etiquette and I guess it depend on what you mean when you say updating.

I sent in my eras with just my step 1 grades. I got my step 2 grade back about 2 weeks later and it was significantly increased from my step 1 so I immediately resent my comlex grades to ERAS. The programs when they were looking through candidates saw there was an update and downloaded my step 2 grade within a week. That has been the case for every program and I diddn't have to contact any program individually.

As for transcripts, I wouldn't bother updating your fourth year transcript for each clerkship as it may become annoying to your deans office and the programs. I might consider updating my transcripts if I got a run of great grades that were not typical for me, and probably will update once closer to match Nov/Dec.

If I notice a program has not downloaded my ERAS documents at all or hasn't downloaded my update on their own, I'd consider emailing them within 2 weeks+ or so just to let them know I'm interested, and I have new material in that may significantly affect their desire to interview me. If they have downloaded all your material and you know a resident or the program director, or have rotated there, but you have not gotten an interview I'd say you are fine emailing the program director or resident and reminding them of your interest. Personally, if I diddn't know anyone at the residency and I had not rotated there, and they had downloaded all my info from ERAS, but not set up an interview yet I would not email them requesting an interview.

This is just what I've decided to do, but I hope it helps.

I tend to look at applications at 3 different times -- when deciding whom to invite for interviews, right before I interview somebody, and right before I submit my rank listing. For each of those I look into ERAS to see the most current information. I really do not want to receive information through other channels because there is no easy way to incorporate the information into the ERAS file. You should send your letter as part of an updated PS. While I can't speak for other PDs, I suspect they operate similarly to me. The main reason you would want to contact a PD directly would be if the information drastically alters your application and if you suspect/know that the PD has decided to not invite you for an interview as once I inactivate a person, I usually do not go back to look at updates. In such a situation I would recommend that you email the PD and inform him/her that there is a major change in your application and direct them to the new PS in ERAS. I hope this helps.