When I heard the guy who killed Cecil the Lion was a dentist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw a bunch of dentists and dental students as a team on Family Feud once. We're everywhere

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
And they only refer to him as "U.S. Dentist" and not just "U.S. Man" or something. This is a conspiracy to make people more afraid of the dentist.
"muslim"terrorist. Black "gangbanger". "Mentally deranged" white man. Is this really a surprise lol?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This guy already has a felony on his record for poaching. I'm not believing his "apology" and that he thought his hunt was legal.

Thread has been derailed. Original question was, why the emphasis on his "dentist"ness?

Clearly part of a liberal vendetta against a class popularly perceived as opulently wealthy and bored to the point of committing this type of act, and who need to be reined in somehow. Never mind the reality that most dentists are struggling with massive debt and have nothing even approximating $50,000 to drop on some hunting excursion.

There is a narrative being spun here that dentists are "too wealthy" and that their "excessive wealth" leads to behaviors like this. Look at the emphasis on how much he paid for the hunting license alone. As a hopeful future dentist I find this alarming.

Reactions: 2 users
Thread has been derailed. Original question was, why the emphasis on his "dentist"ness?

Clearly part of a liberal vendetta against a class popularly perceived as opulently wealthy and bored to the point of committing this type of act, and who need to be reined in somehow. Never mind the reality that most dentists are struggling with massive debt and have nothing even approximating $50,000 to drop on some hunting excursion.

There is a narrative being spun here that dentists are "too wealthy" and that their "excessive wealth" leads to behaviors like this. Look at the emphasis on how much he paid for the hunting license alone. As a hopeful future dentist I find this alarming.

I fail to see how this is a "liberal" vendetta. I consider myself to be very liberal and I have spent much of this thread defending the guy even though I personally believe he knew exactly what he was doing...

By the way, it is liberal candidates who are pushing for free state college/university tuition. So if you are complaining about school debt then it may be wise to write to (not liberal) lawmakers who are trying to further privatize student loans with an anything goes policy towards interest rates.

I think that a lot of the public outcry over the fact that he is a dentist has to do with the fact that being a big-game hunter doesn't jive well with being a healthcare provider. I suspect that the coverage would have been similar had this person been a physician, or possibly a nurse. There was a huge furor over the cheerleader that was killing big-game last year too, and she clearly wasn't a dentist. I think that a lot of the outrage in her case stemmed from the fact that yes, she came from a privileged family, but also that her image was not at all inline with people's preconceived notions of what a big-game hunter should look like. People don't think of dentists as killing lions. Athletes, celebrities, lawyers, and maybe bankers, would all be less surprising than a dentist or a cheerleader skinning a magnificent lion for sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The real question is:" Why "angry mobs" are ruling this country now

Low pay, white vs. black. Injustices.... That should cover the majority of reasons....
I would disagree. Police and government went soft, that is why stupid mob decides who is guilty, instead of a judge. Going back to middle ages

I don't remember where I read it, but a point has been made that whether we like it or not, we are our job in others' eyes, in the US especially. One of the first things people ask each other when meeting for the first time is "What do you do?" (the college version being "what's your major?")... When people get in trouble, one's profession is usually the go-to descriptor. This especially goes for professions that most people encounter frequently or that hold any position of power/respect: teacher, doctor, lawyer, nurse, military, etc. Look at a lot of news stories, especially those shortened blurbs that scroll at the bottom of the screen, and you'll see that many are titled by profession, unless the crime is domestic in nature, then they sometimes say "father" or "mother," etc. (unless the person is already famous).

In this case, his profession is more relevant because people want to know "what does this guy do for a living that he can pay 50K to go shoot a lion?!" When the story first broke, people probably thought it was going to be some investment banker or heir to old money... I think the newsrooms realized most people would actually be surprised to find out it was a dentist / health care professional. I've read comments ranging from "dang, I should've been a dentist!" to "it makes sense, all dentists are sadistic greedy jerks!"... it's all the same stereotypes that've been swirling for ages. He certainly doesn't help.

Either way, it seems that people are mostly focusing on the man himself and not on the profession. I think the focus on his shuttered practice is more about how "people vote with their wallets" and it's an obvious sign of local disapproval of his actions and desire to see him punished. His previous poaching charge and sexual harassment lawsuit paint a picture of a guy who is just a jerk and happens to be a dentist. At least that's how I'm hoping people view it.

Last edited:
I would disagree. Police and government went soft, that is why stupid mob decides who is guilty, instead of a judge. Going back to middle ages

Now this I find ironic... In a true democracy it would be mob rule. As we are more of a republic, elected leaders are supposed to represent their constituents. That IS modern governance. What you seem to be advocating, a totalitarian regime where the police oppress citizens at the behest of the government, THAT is going backwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now this I find ironic... In a true democracy it would be mob rule. As we are more of a republic, elected leaders are supposed to represent their constituents. That IS modern governance. What you seem to be advocating, a totalitarian regime where the police oppress citizens at the behest of the government, THAT is going backwards.
No, I just respect the law and would like everyone to do the same. I find it odd, that people find it acceptable to punish criminal offenses by eliminating person's source of income. If this dentist is guilty of a criminal offense, he should be punished or fined according to the law and not according to what you or me or somebody's grandma thinks is right. People, who harassed his busyness should have been fined, because it was dangerous to the public
It easy for you to talk now, but imagine yourself making a mistake and then expecting the mob justice

"muslim"terrorist. Black "gangbanger". "Mentally deranged" white man. Is this really a surprise lol?
Yea but the media usually has an agenda to categorize... Are they aiming to do that to all dentists? Lol

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/whit...-cecil-lions-killer-exceeds/story?id=32788923

From the article above:

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, which has offered assistance to Zimbabwe in its investigation, has asked Palmer to contact them "immediately."

"The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is investigating the circumstances surrounding the killing of 'Cecil the lion,'" the agency told ABC News in a statement today. "At this point in time, however, multiple efforts to contact Dr. Walter Palmer have been unsuccessful. We ask that Dr. Palmer or his representative contact us immediately."

-----

Hmmm... What happened to "I have not been contacted by authorities in Zimbabwe or in the U.S. about this situation, but will assist them in any inquiries they may have" ? I guess it's hard to be "contacted" when you disconnect your phones and go on the lam...

Last edited:
No, I just respect the law and would like everyone to do the same.I find it odd, that people find it acceptable to punish criminal offenses by eliminating person's source of income. If this dentist is guilty of a criminal offense, he should be punished or fined according to the law and not according to what you or me or somebody's grandma thinks is right. People, who harassed his busyness should have been fined, because it was dangerous to the public
It easy for you to talk now, but imagine yourself making a mistake and then expecting the mob justice

If you read the first page you'll see that you and I are roughly on the same page.

No matter the backlash, the number of letters delivered to his house, or the size of the pile of stuffed animals in front of his office, there is little chance that anyone is going to convince this man that he was wrong. As Socrates famously said, "no one knowingly commits evil." People have myriad ways of justifying their actions to themselves. Even heinous killers who aren't certifiably insane generally have 'reasons' for the commission of their crimes. I suspect that the number of prisoners serving time for rape, murder, assault, etc. probably have some justification for their behavior. Very few people ever own up to and take responsibility for their actions, no matter the pressure.

No matter the backlash, the number of letters delivered to his house, or the size of the pile of stuffed animals in front of his office, there is little chance that anyone is going to convince this man that he was wrong. As Socrates famously said, "no one knowingly commits evil." People have myriad ways of justifying their actions to themselves. Even heinous killers who aren't certifiably insane generally have 'reasons' for the commission of their crimes. I suspect that the number of prisoners serving time for rape, murder, assault, etc. probably have some justification for their behavior. Very few people ever own up to and take responsibility for their actions, no matter the pressure.

No joke...No matter the magnitude of the crime, this tends to hold true:

'It is necessary that I should die for my people; but my spirit will rise from the grave and the world will know that I was right." - Adolf Hitler, 1945, just before putting a bullet in his own head.

Is this within the jurisdiction of the U.S. attorney's office? I do understand the U.S. had an agreement with Zimbabwe, so what they can probably do is extradite him back to Zimbabwe to face any charges in that country.
He is being investigated by USFWS to determine if he violated US law under the Lacey Act, which bars trading in wildlife that has been illegally killed, transported, or sold.

Being a dentist myself, it does appear to me that a disproportionate number of my male dental colleagues and acquaintances from dental school are into some form of hunting. People don't talk about it because it is a touchy subject that can lead to emotionally charged responses (as we can see in the news recently). I don't know if there are any occupational factors that make it more likely for dentists to be drawn towards the sport, or if personalities that are attracted to dentistry are also attracted to hunt, but this just seems to be the case from what I observe. In fact, here in San Francisco, a well known and well regarded dentist actually has a trophy room in the back of his dental office with the heads of the big five game: an elephant, a rhino, a buffalo, a lion, and a leopard. I don't hunt myself and nothing about hunting interests me, but I am not quick to judge hunters either. One of my friends who hunt actually told me that hunting an old endangered rhino can actually help promote the rhino population, as the old rhinos prevent younger, more fertile rhinos from breeding. I'm not sure it is the same with lions, but what happened with Cecil appeared to be a tragic accident and I don't think it is fair to condemn all big game hunters (and by proxy, many dentists) because of it.