when i pop my own joints, is that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this for awhile, so I thought I post and see if anyone had any comments.

I've gotten in the habbit of "popping" my back and neck when i get up in the morning. I pop my neck to left left and to the right and then the same with my back. It seems to loosen things up and feels pretty good.

So is this actually bad? Since maniuplation is actually a medical modality, is what i do akin to improperly taking medication? Or is it so none specific that it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the insights,
Dave

Members don't see this ad.

Stop or you'll go blind.

No, seriously. There have been no longer term studies indicating the danger of "Cracking your knuckles" and the like. Of course, I suppose you can do micro damage to the cartilage if it's violent or in any way injurious to the tissues.

I say if it feels good, do it.

ive heard cases of people popping their joint and they become impotent..

is it really worth it??

Members don't see this ad :)
ive heard cases of people popping their joint and they become impotent..

that depends on if it's reversible or not... if so, then I say "goodbye condoms"
:laugh:

I'm actually curious about the whether or not "popping" can cause or aggrivate somatic dysfunction.

Actually, certain clinicians in our OMM lab told us that the adjustments done while laying down are ok but you want to avoid doing spinal adjustments while sitting or standing upright. puts extra strain on ligaments (especially cervical should not be done in an upright position). We were taught specifically that self-cervical corrections CAN lead to ligament laxity and problems later in life...

This probably explains why we are all taught most HVLA techniques in supine/prone positions.

I'm not saying this is gospel but that's what we were taught.

That's first I've heard about the upright/lying down danger! If you're performing the thrust carefully then I'd stick my neck out (ha!) and say there's no evidence to support your tutors on that one.

'Popping' one's own joints can be not-so-good, sometimes bad.

Often when a patient is cracking their own neck/back they're missing the fixated joint entirely, producing temporary relief as beta endorphins flood the system, but putting the popped joint complex under unnecessary strain... they often make the problem worse, 'jamming' other joints, stressing out the soft tissues and leading to pain. Joint instability is certainly not an unlikely consequence of repeated self-popping over years (maybe less).

You've also got to ask *why* they're self-manipulating. With me and most others I'd say it's stress-related. We know that pain-tolerance is lowered under stress, so the urge to self-pop is greater too.

A lot depends on how the manipulation is done too.

The need or compulsion to self-manip (especially the spine) often goes once the patient has had a good stint of accurate manipulative therapy.

The general advice given by every osteopath, chiropractor and manipulative physiotherapist I've ever struck is that it's best to discourage self-manipulation, or at least to seek to address the under-lying cause(s).

Originally posted by JPHazelton
Stop or you'll go blind.

I was always told I'd grow hair on my palms.

Alas, I'm too nearsighted to see whether or not I have any hair there. :confused:

popping is bad it freaks girls out, don't do it....but then again, chics are crazy.

peace

f-$

As a girl that will be going to the wonderful TCOM this fall, I feel qualified to answer your question. . . . . . popping freaks me out, don't do it:)

Frequent popping and cracking will make you hypermobile. You can be adjusted easily which is the pro, but you get thrown out of alignment easily as well...which is the con.

But all this osteopathy, popping, cracking, massage, it's a good way to reel in guys. "Would you like an adjustment?" :) Yeah, I can loosen you up. lol

Originally posted by daveswafford
does it freak out girls who are going to matriculate to TCOM?

:thumbup:

Dave

especially chicks going to TCOM....might as well push their buttons, eh dave? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

there was actually a doctor who tested the theory of popping knuckles by cracking the knuckles on his left hand ten times a day, but never cracking the right, after years of doing this, he found no difference in his hands. Imagine the incredible will power that would be required to only crack one side. Amazing!

zenblunder said:
there was actually a doctor who tested the theory of popping knuckles by cracking the knuckles on his left hand ten times a day, but never cracking the right, after years of doing this, he found no difference in his hands. Imagine the incredible will power that would be required to only crack one side. Amazing!

I'd like to know what technique he used, i.e. traction, etc.?

weird thoughts...