When in your opinion is the best time to exercise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. King Shultz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious for all you dental students who have been through a year already, when did you find yourself going to the gym, running, etc.? Mornings or after class? Just wondering because I'm trying to figure out whether I should try and wake up before class to exercise and get a little less sleep or try and go after class and sacrifice a little bit of study time? I know it is all subjective but I would like to know how you guys have done this? I typically work out everyday for at least an hour either running or weight lifting do you think this will still be possible during school?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been through a whole year yet, but I've found a schedule that works well so far.

I'm up at 5 am to exercise before class at 8 am every day. I find that it gives me some energy and allows me to focus on studying only after class. Another thing I find helpful: ditch the earbuds, clear your mind, and take in the early morning silence if you like running or cycling.

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't been through a whole year yet, but I've found a schedule that works well so far.

I'm up at 5 am to exercise before class at 8 am every day. I find that it gives me some energy and allows me to focus on studying only after class. Another thing I find helpful: ditch the earbuds, clear your mind, and take in the early morning silence if you like running or cycling.

That's what I was thinking is that I would just have to wake up at 5am and go before class. How much sleep do you get doing that, enough to suffice?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have been getting up at 5 and going before class as well and I have liked it so far . I need the earbuds though! It is nice to have the gym to yourself at 6:30 though! I also get about 6 hours of sleep a night.

Reactions: 1 user
Cycle a pre workout and utilize the drug caffeine on a bell curve and use half life consideration to maximize efficiency while meal prepping.

Tx: Class at 9, wake up at 6:00 and take 175mg of caffeine in the early morning, this ensures the half life of 6 hours it will not disrupt your sleep the next day. By doing this you get a boost from the caffeine and a clarity from blood flow on that early morning workout. In addition, it is easier to use equipment in the morning because there are less people. Repeat this process until you are a boss and cycle off caffeine to recharge Adenosine receptors.

Meal prepping the night before is nice because when you being it to school you have to eat it even if its healthy lol

This is my strategy and I usually get 7:30 TO 8:00 hours of sleep a night. Some people don't need to sleep that much but I am a jerk if I get less.

Note; caffeine is only mentioned because of its positive properties in delaying muscle fatigue, and if you already consume it, using it in this way does more than just wake you up.

Reactions: 3 users
Just curious for all you dental students who have been through a year already, when did you find yourself going to the gym, running, etc.? Mornings or after class? Just wondering because I'm trying to figure out whether I should try and wake up before class to exercise and get a little less sleep or try and go after class and sacrifice a little bit of study time? I know it is all subjective but I would like to know how you guys have done this? I typically work out everyday for at least an hour either running or weight lifting do you think this will still be possible during school?
I always worked out after class for about 2 hours, I could never quite get in the zone with my workouts if I did them early in the morning. Ive done this throughout dental school. I rarelt if ever studied after class (I studied during class or skipped it and studied at home).

Cycle a pre workout and utilize the drug caffeine on a bell curve and use half life consideration to maximize efficiency while meal prepping.

Tx: Class at 9, wake up at 6:00 and take 175mg of caffeine in the early morning, this ensures the half life of 6 hours it will not disrupt your sleep the next day. By doing this you get a boost from the caffeine and a clarity from blood flow on that early morning workout. In addition, it is easier to use equipment in the morning because there are less people. Repeat this process until you are a boss and cycle off caffeine to recharge Adenosine receptors.

Meal prepping the night before is nice because when you being it to school you have to eat it even if its healthy lol

This is my strategy and I usually get 7:30 TO 8:00 hours of sleep a night. Some people don't need to sleep that much but I am a jerk if I get less.

Note; caffeine is only mentioned because of its positive properties in delaying muscle fatigue, and if you already consume it, using it in this way does more than just wake you up.
Do you use Gold Standard preworkout too? I thought the 175mg of caffeine was a little specific :D

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I should reduce my 3 scoops of C4. Which is about 450mg of caffeine haha.

Try Legion Pulse on amazon. 350mg, very basic profile but everything is useful.

I have been waking up at 530 am even before the school started so that i get used to this sleep cycle once the school starts. Hell yeah

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile