when is a good time to start application process for residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sachicago5858

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a third year in a dental school, thinking about applying to peds residency programs.
As the match results are coming out, I was just wondering when is the good time to start the application process - eg. asking for letters of recommendations, and the PPI things, etc.
Also, if there is any recent ADAT takers, how long should I plan to study for the exam? I've only taken NBDE Part I so no experience with part II, which is what I'm concerned about.

Any insights are appreciated - thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the due dates for pros are as soon as peds but I like to have things in as early as possible. So I already had my CV and extracurriculars organized on a word doc before PASS opened. Once PASS was open I started inputting things and organizing my application.
There are no longer PPIs starting last cycle and there are just Professional Evaluations (similar to traditional LORs) and an Institution Evaluation that the dean's office will fill out for each applicant (it includes your class rank each year, and whether you passed your boards - I had also only taken Part I when I applied). My circumstances were a little different because I was getting married abroad on June 18 and my honeymoon was right after; I was out of town for almost the entire month of June. So I asked my faculty for letters pretty early on (around March) so that they knew it was coming. PASS actually lets you request LORs electronically and it will send a form to your faculty's email. You will also be notified (and it updates on PASS) when the letters are complete.
I had everything submitted July 1st and then all my supplemental applications were in by the 3rd. Pros' due dates were mostly either Aug 1 or Aug 15 so I wanted a whole month to do damage control in case on of my supplemental documents got lost in the mail.

I unfortunately (or fortunately) know nothing about the ADAT.

If you know for sure that you want to apply to peds, it's never too early to start making connections and building relationships with your pedo faculty. As far as the application, treat it as you would the AADSAS. The application itself comes out at the very beginning of summer. You would apply at the end of your junior year, interview during the fall of senior year, and ideally get accepted January just before graduation. In the months preceding the opening of the application cycle, you can let your professors (who you want to write your LOR) know your intentions. Ask them what they will require from you in order to draft your LOR, and get those ready. Usually, they'll want a your personal statement and CV. Anticipate your professors taking at least a couple of months. Some are very good but some are slow. Depending on your school, you may have your own process for getting the deans letter or institutional evaluation so you'll have to ask your school for that. The due date for the application for peds is anywhere between September and November, depending on the program you apply to. As far as the ADAT, you'll probably take the same amount of time studying for that as you do the NBDE. Usually a month or two at most. When do you take part 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are serious about peds, now is a good time to start visiting programs. The new class is settled in and the second years have a handle on what the program is about. Few visit now, you will have the place to yourself. Visiting in the summer when the class is new and things are hectic will not allow for much face time with the PD.

Hey there! I'm applying to peds as well and have already scheduled externships at a few (3) programs. The first hurdle was definitely deciding which programs I was interested in and they all want different things for your externship application. I had a word doc going of a "CV" of sorts (just a collection of all my volunteer work, etc.) and had to get a letter of good standing from my dean, immunization history, CV, letter of intent and even a photo just to apply for externships. I'd get that ball rolling as spots are filling up quick if you want certain dates.
As far as ADAT goes, I've heard to take it around the same time as part II just because you've already been studying. I'm thinking July or August since it looks like they send out official scores Sept 15th (and most of the programs I'm eyeing have an application deadline of ~mid Sept/early Oct.