When is a good time to start collecting letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dermhopefully

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is now to early? I was thinking just to at least start sending out these ERAS cover letters and requests now.

On another note: on the ERAS cover sheet it says my AAMC ID number won't be available till July 2010. I am thinking though I already have one, anyone know how to get that number? I have my USMLE and AMCAS number but I can't seem to find any record of an AAMC number. So maybe I must wait till July anyways.

Hope everyone is doing well,
 
It's never to early to start getting letters (unless you're working with someone currently and think your work and interactions over the next few months will improve the letter). Clinicians can take forever to write letters, and you don't want this to hold up your app, so the earlier the better is the general rule.

The AAMC and AMCAS ID numbers are the same thing, so just use your AMCAS ID if you know it.

Is now to early? I was thinking just to at least start sending out these ERAS cover letters and requests now.

On another note: on the ERAS cover sheet it says my AAMC ID number won't be available till July 2010. I am thinking though I already have one, anyone know how to get that number? I have my USMLE and AMCAS number but I can't seem to find any record of an AAMC number. So maybe I must wait till July anyways.

Hope everyone is doing well,