When is a good time to start preparing for the NBDE Part I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiggar4l2000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm an entering dental student this year and I'd like to hear your guys' thoughts and experiences on preparing for the NBDE part I.

When did you guys start preparing for it? And how long did you study? Was so-and-so amount of time enough?

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on how to stragetically plan ahead for the exam. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, you are going to attend UCSF. I just finished my first year and have been preparing for part I in September. I've been working on the decks for the last couple of weeks. Most of the stuff we were already taught in class. So, to answer your question when you should start, I think the good point would be when you start school. When you prepare for the exams at UC, write good notes for later use. You will be glad that you did. When you get to see the decks, you will be able to tell how much time you need to put in. And that heavily depends on what you want to get out of it and how you use it too. You will love UCSF. Congratulations!

Mach band said:
If I remember correctly, you are going to attend UCSF. I just finished my first year and have been preparing for part I in September. I've been working on the decks for the last couple of weeks. Most of the stuff we were already taught in class. So, to answer your question when you should start, I think the good point would be when you start school. When you prepare for the exams at UC, write good notes for later use. You will be glad that you did. When you get to see the decks, you will be able to tell how much time you need to put in. And that heavily depends on what you want to get out of it and how you use it too. You will love UCSF. Congratulations!

Thanks for the input Mach and yes, I KNOW I'll love UCSF. Very excited. :)