When is it our turn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Rawls

Reaction score
You boomers and gen-X pillow stuffers ruined everything. If we were in charge, we would treat our patients like family, we would refuse to commit fraud. You ruined the specialty, hope you're happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You boomers and gen-X pillow stuffers ruined everything. If we were in charge, we would treat our patients like family, we would refuse to commit fraud. You ruined the specialty, hope you're happy.

You sound slightly bitter.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine being so fiscally undisciplined that you enable corporate false claims to resolve your child support payments and refuse to PUT THE PATIENT FIRST. Did we not all go to medical school in the united states? Oh, my bad, some of us did not.

This isn't going to be reassuring, but it is bigger (and more difficult to fix) than just a group of people who decided to behave badly. Wishing you the best.

Oh man, now I feel old. First time I’ve seen my generation called out for ruining everything- that used to be reserved exclusively for the boomers. Also found a grey pube the other day and received correspondence from AARP in the mail.

Now get off my lawn!

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Oh man, now I feel old. First time I’ve seen my generation called out for ruining everything- that used to be reserved exclusively for the boomers. Also found a grey pube the other day and received correspondence from AARP in the mail.

Now get off my lawn!

Relevant username

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The specialty was ruined decades ago. You just found out now?

Don’t bother trying to reach the destroyers of EM here. They’re gone, retired, spending their money and free time sloshing around the golf club and and at the beach, thanking God they got out before their Death Star blew up.

If you haven’t chosen a specialty, avoid EM and thank us who warned you. If you already chose EM, get out, before ya stroke out.

Don’t wait a decade and then start the thread, “All the good exit plans are gone, who can I blame?”

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Now get off my lawn!
I got my first AARP mailing when I turned 30. Guess they’re starting early these days.

I got my first AARP mailing when I turned 30. Guess they’re starting early these days.
No, everyone still gets those at 50. They only send them to ER docs, at 30.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Imagine being so fiscally undisciplined that you enable corporate false claims to resolve your child support payments and refuse to PUT THE PATIENT FIRST. Did we not all go to medical school in the united states? Oh, my bad, some of us did not.

You're gonna have to explain this.

You're not wrong, by the way.

You're gonna have to explain this.

You're not wrong, by the way.
First part of that sounds like fraud.

Second part of his statement (“putting the patient first”) is BS. I trained at an institution that was big on “putting patients first”. What it apparently meant was that you were supposed to sacrifice your entire life, including physical and mental health and overall well being, to do whatever the Great Big Institution wanted you to do in the name of “serving patients”.

I do not support this ideal as I think it is a thinly veiled way of exploiting and abusing healthcare professionals.

we would treat our patients like family,
Lol wut? I mean, sure in the sense that most conversations would go: "Aunt June! For the 50th goddamn time, you don't need to call a doctor every time you burp and it makes your chest feel weird! You're not having a freaking heart attack, so sit the hell back down and finish your dinner. It's your turn to wash the dishes tonight by the way."

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
First part of that sounds like fraud.

Second part of his statement (“putting the patient first”) is BS. I trained at an institution that was big on “putting patients first”. What it apparently meant was that you were supposed to sacrifice your entire life, including physical and mental health and overall well being, to do whatever the Great Big Institution wanted you to do in the name of “serving patients”.

I do not support this ideal as I think it is a thinly veiled way of exploiting and abusing healthcare professionals.

Yeah: I want him to explain fraud. Who did what and how?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m assuming somebody worked night shift and got off and immediately hit the bottle.

Reactions: 5 users

You're not going to like my reply (which may be off base, but suspect if it is probably not by much)...
...but on the slight chance it affects positive change: YOU are the one who needs to make change.

I got an early idea of the scope and depth of our enemy's plans shortly into attendinghood when a high-functioning SDG I did shifts at got bought out by PE/CMG. I was one of many docs who had no say in the decision (and got 0 dollars as part of the deal). CMG overlords then burned the site to the ground in less than a year. They lost so many docs in such a short time they had to call in the CMG strike team mid-month...and then some of those docs refused to work at the site saying it was the worst they'd ever seen. I told them working conditions were no longer safe and demanded they increase staffing (which they'd cut it by 50%) or I'd leave. They refused, inferred I was too sensitive, and instead they tried to give me a big "loyalty" bonus to stay.

It was at that point I realized the wall we were up against. The pool of dollars behind PE is deep and vast. If a) the hospital C-suite is on your side and/or b) you have a group of like-minded colleagues wanting to form an SDG you can weather the storm against PE as their product is inferior and not designed to last.
But if you don't have a or b than you're basically screaming into an abyss...

So, assuming you're in a situation that's at all similar...what's the moral to the story?
You can choose to brood and rage and reside in a place unlikely to improve your situation--or YOU NEED to be the one to change.

Change to make YOUR life better.
Move to a different state to work for a better group, transition to a clinical field outside the ER, do non-clinical work, etc...all of these things will do two things at once--1) make your life better and 2) make the CMGs situation worse by thinning the pool of EM docs willing to work for them and in doing so putting them on the ropes to improve conditions/pay more.
Along the way, join AAEM or other groups to speak out against PE in medicine if you like; it's a worthy cause.
Or if you have hard-evidence of CMG wrongdoing and want to go the distance, lawyer up and go to war.

I made some of the above change and I thank my lucky stars every day I did...and it ended up making my life and that ER better in the end.
Goodluck with your decisions.

Reactions: 9 users
You're not going to like my reply (which may be off base, but suspect if it is probably not by much)...
...but on the slight chance it affects positive change: YOU are the one who needs to make change.

I got an early idea of the scope and depth of our enemy's plans shortly into attendinghood when a high-functioning SDG I did shifts at got bought out by PE/CMG. I was one of many docs who had no say in the decision (and got 0 dollars as part of the deal). CMG overlords then burned the site to the ground in less than a year. They lost so many docs in such a short time they had to call in the CMG strike team mid-month...and then some of those docs refused to work at the site saying it was the worst they'd ever seen. I told them working conditions were no longer safe and demanded they increase staffing (which they'd cut it by 50%) or I'd leave. They refused, inferred I was too sensitive, and instead they tried to give me a big "loyalty" bonus to stay.

It was at that point I realized the wall we were up against. The pool of dollars behind PE is deep and vast. If a) the hospital C-suite is on your side and/or b) you have a group of like-minded colleagues wanting to form an SDG you can weather the storm against PE as their product is inferior and not designed to last.
But if you don't have a or b than you're basically screaming into an abyss...

So, assuming you're in a situation that's at all similar...what's the moral to the story?
You can choose to brood and rage and reside in a place unlikely to improve your situation--or YOU NEED to be the one to change.

Change to make YOUR life better.
Move to a different state to work for a better group, transition to a clinical field outside the ER, do non-clinical work, etc...all of these things will do two things at once--1) make your life better and 2) make the CMGs situation worse by thinning the pool of EM docs willing to work for them and in doing so putting them on the ropes to improve conditions/pay more.
Along the way, join AAEM or other groups to speak out against PE in medicine if you like; it's a worthy cause.
Or if you have hard-evidence of CMG wrongdoing and want to go the distance, lawyer up and go to war.

I made some of the above change and I thank my lucky stars every day I did...and it ended up making my life and that ER better in the end.
Goodluck with your decisions.

Yeah. It sounds like youre going through a hard time. You ER brothers and sisters are here for you.

Either make a change, or if not possible, emotionally disconnect. See the "bare minimum" thread.

The most corrupt physicians that I can think of are from the most celebrated US medical schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I wanna know what a "pillow-stuffer" is.
According to urban dictionary it's someone with a good body but ugly face where you compensate for the latter by shoving their face into a pillow during sex.

I don't really see how this applies to the described demographic unless rawls has a thing for 41-56 year old bods.

Beyond the bare minimum thread I would add.. if you are an ACEP member you literally are the problem. Imagine being so stupid as to pay someone to ruin your life.

Dump ACEP, make the change you need..

According to urban dictionary it's someone with a good body but ugly face where you compensate for the latter by shoving their face into a pillow during sex.

I don't really see how this applies to the described demographic unless rawls has a thing for 41-56 year old bods.
Maybe describes Vituity?

Sorry that you were late to the party. We got there first and took all the steak and lobster from the buffet table. Hot dogs and Mac and Cheese are in abundance.
Enjoy.

• Haha
60 percent would eat a poop hot dog for med school admission…. Interesting.

I love how desperately our younger selves want this life of burn out

Despite the fact that it is not as good as it used to be, it sucks less than the alternatives.